1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Any other fish? Question

1. A

AnthonySharpe Valued Member Member

I have a 60 gallon with a 3in abei puffer, and a 4in green terror. I wanted something that can be as aggressive as the puffer so it could defend itself if it needed too, I've had them for a month and it has worked out extremely well. There is absolutely no fighting between the two, only occasionally does the green terror slightly push the puffer, but that's only because the puffer invaded his territory. Could anything else work with these two? Or should I just keep those two by themselves in that tank? Could a leaf fish big enough live with them?

2. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

How big is your tank? Puffers are very aggressive and need to live alone and if not with same species only. Puffers also need to be in a brackish tank with a SG of 1.005-1.010. I would get a well decorated tank of at least 30-75 gal long with no tank mates or if not 1 of the same species. What do you feed your puffer and how educated are you with you puff?

I love my puffer:)
    ps sorry if I sounded a bit rude;)

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    A

AnthonySharpe Valued Member Member

It's a tetradon orange ring abei puffer, or something like that. they max out around 4in, it is a fairly rare puffer, and is one of the few 100% freshwater puffer species. I understand they can be aggressive, but the gt and him have tolerated each other pretty well for as long I've had them, I feed the puffer krill, shrimp, trumpet and mystery snails. The tank is like 40x18x21, around 60 gallons I believe.

4. I love my puffer

Wow:) you take very good care of you puffer;)! Keep up the good work! I would keep it as is, especially if your puffer is older as this can cause unwanted stress:) the GT and your Puff seem to do well together, how old is your puffer and how did you get him? Also how long have your 2 fish lived together?

Thanks!
    i love my puffer:)

5. hampalong

hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

You don't know what the green terror will be like when it matures....

Leaf fish are totally peaceful and defenseless, so not a good option.

6. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Honestly, the Green Terror is gonna get mean with the puffer when it's full grown. I'd leave them for now and start planning a puffer only tank for the near future.

There are many different species of leaf fish out there. And most of them are extremely aggressive. Despite that, I wouldn't recommend one as a tankmate for a Green Terror simply because of the difference in adult size. The leaf fish would likely fight, and unfortunately would probably lose.

7. I love my puffer

I agree

8. hampalong

hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

There are 3 species of leaf fish, and a few Ctenopoma and Nandus that are sometimes called leaf fish but aren't. The true leaf fish are not aggressive to fish too big to eat.