Any one familiar with Glo Danios?

Gleis

Recently I got some Glo Danios. Does anyone have some info about this type of fish cause google is almost empty of info for this type
Are they easy to breed?
How to know when a female is ready to lay eggs?
Guppies vs Glo Dainos, which one is better?
etc....

Salem

Are you refering to the glofish danios? If so they're just normal danio rerio (zebra danio) that have been genetically modified to "glow" under a blue light. They both breed extremely easily.

Gleis

Yes, I was referring to the glofish danios . I thought they were a type of guppy as the seller said but .....
Anyway I just wanted to try breeding some type of fish and I choose guppy, but at the store was only this type of "guppy" as that guy sad so I bought 8 of these guys. Now that I bought them I don't want to give them back and buy guppies so, I will try to breed those , or is it better to have guppies ?
Any idea how to breed these guys ?
How to know when is the woman ready to lay eggs?
And I think that 1 of my females is pregnant cause her belly ist becoming bigger every day and it has that black spot

SoldSpartan

Guppies don't glow.

CichlidJynx

Glo danios are just zebra danios that are genetically modified to glo different colors. They will breed true meaning they keep there color. I would see if a store will even take them. GloFish has a patent on their fish

Salem

They aren't livebearers like guppies are and won't get "pregnant". They breed then lay eggs at the bottom of the tank within 24 hours. The eggs will hatch within two days. If the eggs hatch in the tank that the adults are in then they will eat the babies.

To breed them you will want 3 tanks- one for the males, one for the females, and one for the actual breeding. You will move a pair into the breeding tank for about a day, if they haven't spawned (laid eggs) by then then put them back and pick another pair.

Demeter

Zebra danios are quite easy to breed but because their freshly hatched fry are so tiny they can be hard to raise. I did it years ago in a 10gal tank with a this layer of gravel, an air stone, and a heater. Tossed a male and female in the 10gal and took them out the next day. Eggs hatched and it looked like little eye lashes sticking to the glass. After another day or two they become free swimming and ready to eat. I fed boiled egg yolk and liquid fry food. Then micro worms and eventually powdered flakes.

I suggest you do your own researching on how to properly care for and breed zebra danios. You’ll learn more by hitting the web than you will by us telling you.

Gleis

Demeter said:
Zebra danios are quite easy to breed but because their freshly hatched fry are so tiny they can be hard to raise. I did it years ago in a 10 gallon tank with a this layer of gravel, an air stone, and a heater. Tossed a male and female in the 10 gallon and took them out the next day. Eggs hatched and it looked like little eye lashes sticking to the glass. After another day or two they become free swimming and ready to eat. I fed boiled egg yolk and liquid fry food. Then micro worms and eventually powdered flakes.

I suggest you do your own researching on how to properly care for and breed zebra danios. You’ll learn more by hitting the web than you will by us telling you.
So is it better to return them and get some real guppies?
As I said I mostly want them for breeding purpose

Dewclaw83

Glofish's Danios are just fluorescing zebra danios. Some sources say Glofish are treated to make them sterile, some sources say not. I don't know myself. But I do know they're patented so I believe it's illegal to sell the fry if you breed them and are not licensed.

I'd recommend returning and getting actual guppies if that's what you want.

And here's an excerpt for you:
"Are there any restrictions on breeding GloFish or selling their offspring?
Yes. Because GloFish are unique, their sale is covered by a substantial number of patents and pending patent applications For additional information regarding GloFish license

Gleis

It's not a good idea to keep danios and guppies in the same tank , right ?

SoldSpartan

You can but it is not necessary.

Gleis

For real I don't know what to do
I love that kind of fish but I don't have another tank for the fry and eggs , this would be different for guppies cause I could make a DIY box and put it in the aquarium with some small holes and place the fry in there etc
What should I do?

Redshark1

My Glofish Danio fry.

Bowl45 and Danio fry  20 - Copy (2).jpg

Bowl45 and Danio Fry Steve Joul 19.05.08 (2).jpg

StarGirl

I have Glo Danios. Not the false colored ones. They are Choprae Danios if you want to look them up. Are those it?

Gleis

Redshark1 said:
My Glofish Danio fry.
How did you breed them ? Give me some good tips

StarGirl15 said:
I have Glo Danios. Not the false colored ones. They are Choprae Danios if you want to look them up. Are those it?
Like what do you mean when you say false colored one ? I have that type that glows in the dark , genetically modified one

StarGirl

Gleis said:
Like what do you mean when you say false colored one ? I have that type that glows in the dark , genetically modified one
Like the blue, yellow and orange ones. Gotcha. Sorry they used to just inject dye into them. I have the Glowlight Danios or Choprae Danios.

Gleis

Do you have any breading tips, just asking
And can I create a diy container an put it in my tank for the fry ?

StarGirl

Gleis said:
Do you have any breading tips, just asking
And can I create a diy container an put it in my tank for the fry ?
Nope mine haven't bread from what I have seen. Just chase each other around.

Gleis

StarGirl15 said:
Nope mine haven't bread from what I have seen. Just chase each other around.
Ohhh that's bad , maby they are sterilized.
A female of the group has created a big belly unlike others with that black dot( that shows that its pregnant, like Google says).
But why did you choose Danios insisted of guppies, or your purpose isn't breading at all

Drewbacca

You can have Glofish Danios in a tank with guppies. However, danios are very good at eating livebearer fry. I had a tank with mollies and I actually bought the danios specifically to help control my fry population. I usually have 2-3 make it per birthing, which is very manageable. If you have a well planted aquarium with lots of hiding places, you can do both. However, if your goal is to have as many fry make it as possible, then I’d choose the guppies. Again, if it’s well planted, you’ll have several survive each batch, but if you want to maximize survival you’ll need a separate fry tank to temporarily move the mother to before she gives birth and then move her out.

Gleis

Drewbacca said:
You can have Glofish Danios in a tank with guppies. However, danios are very good at eating livebearer fry. I had a tank with mollies and I actually bought the danios specifically to help control my fry population. I usually have 2-3 make it per birthing, which is very manageable. If you have a well planted aquarium with lots of hiding places, you can do both. However, if your goal is to have as many fry make it as possible, then I’d choose the guppies. Again, if it’s well planted, you’ll have several survive each batch, but if you want to maximize survival you’ll need a separate fry tank to temporarily move the mother to before she gives birth and then move her out.
What if she lays her eggs , I'm not at my room and the goldfish(shubukin) eats them all?
I say that cause he eats everything possible

StarGirl

Gleis said:
Ohhh that's bad , maby they are sterilized.
A female of the group has created a big belly unlike others with that black dot( that shows that its pregnant, like Google says).
But why did you choose Danios insisted of guppies, or your purpose isn't breading at all
Because breeding isn't my goal. Guppies breed like mad. And I don't think we have very good stock around here. They all die within 6 months for me. My husband chose the Danios for the tank.

Drewbacca

Gleis said:
What if she lays her eggs , I'm not at my room and the goldfish(shubukin) eats them all?
I say that cause he eats everything possible
I wouldn't have a goldfish in a tank that you're trying to breed other fish. They will most likely eat any eggs or fry you have.

Redshark1

Gleis Demeter already covered it well. You can't go wrong following the advice of a goddess.

But here's some info specific to how I did it.

I treated the pictured tank with Liquifry and when I could see lots of microorganisms on the glass I introduced a good pair of Glofish Danios into the tank.

The next day I took them out. Eggs could be seen in the Java Moss but I couldn't tell if there were more than the few I could see.

However, when they hatched there were lots 100+ of tiny fry which looked like splinters of glass.

It was fun growing them up.

Sterile? Just the opposite!

Breed true? No, 25% were gold. 75% pink.

Illegal? Very unlikely to be a problem growing at home for your own use.

Why don't I still have them? After several years I went off Danios and wanted to keep something else (I chose African Glass Catfish).

For my tastes Zebra Danios are too hyperactive and also short lived (18 months). But I'm glad I tried them as mine were very colourful and had long fins.

They do fluoresce in normal light and look much brighter coloured than normal fish. They are Zebra Danios with a fluorescent gene from a Sea Anemone spliced into their DNA, giving them their fluorescence.

Danios in cube Steve Joul 28.12.08 (2).jpg

Gleis

Redshark1 said:
Gleis Demeter already covered it well. You can't go wrong following the advice of a goddess.

But here's some info specific to how I did it.

I treated the pictured tank with Liquifry and when I could see lots of microorganisms on the glass I introduced a good pair of Glofish Danios into the tank.

The next day I took them out. Eggs could be seen in the Java Moss but I couldn't tell if there were more than the few I could see.

However, when they hatched there were lots 100+ of tiny fry which looked like splinters of glass.

It was fun growing them up.

Sterile? Just the opposite!

Breed true? No, 25% were gold. 75% pink.

Illegal? Very unlikely to be a problem growing at home for your own use.

Why don't I still have them? After several years I went off Danios and wanted to keep something else (I chose African Glass Catfish).

For my tastes Zebra Danios are too hyperactive and also short lived (18 months). But I'm glad I tried them as mine were very colourful and had long fins.

They do fluoresce in normal light and look much brighter coloured than normal fish. They are Zebra Danios with a fluorescent gene from a Sea Anemone spliced into their DNA, giving them their fluorescence.

Danios in cube Steve Joul 28.12.08 (2).jpg
So just cycle another tank , get a female and male and the other day I have eggs? That easy? Or should I wait until she develops some eggs in her body , cause I think that a female in my group is ready to give birth because her belly is becoming rounded and bigger every day and I see that black spot

Redshark1

Er yeah! You need a pair ready to go and a mature tank.

Did you read my post "I treated the pictured tank with Liquifry and when I could see lots of microorganisms on the glass I introduced a good pair of Glofish Danios into the tank."

These things want to breed.

Gleis

Redshark1 said:
Er yeah! You need a pair ready to go and a mature tank.

Did you read my post "I treated the pictured tank with Liquifry and when I could see lots of microorganisms on the glass I introduced a good pair of Glofish Danios into the tank."

These things want to breed.
What is the minimum size of the breading tank?

david1978

StarGirl15 said:
Because breeding isn't my goal. Guppies breed like mad. And I don't think we have very good stock around here. They all die within 6 months for me. My husband chose the Danios for the tank. Mine look like this.
That looks like a glowlight danio not a glo danio.

Redshark1

The owner Stargirl stated earlier it was choprae, but thanks for clarifying that the common name used is Glowlight Danio.

Celestichthys choprae – Glowlight ‘Danio’ (Danio choprae, Danio choprai)

david1978

Redshark1 said:
The owner Stargirl stated earlier it was choprae, but thanks for clarifying that the common name used is Glowlight Danio.

Celestichthys choprae – Glowlight ‘Danio’ (Danio choprae, Danio choprai)
I guess that's what I get for just skimming threw the thread.

Redshark1

No worries david1978 you still contributed usefully!

Gleis

I just created this DIY breading box and putted ther my best female and a male (its not pretty good cause its spine is a little bit deformed) , they are the same color , purple. Any tips ?
15802399312711638155442863560609.jpg

15802400163311657314966698740349.jpg

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom