Any One Annoyed By This?

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, I walked into Petco one day hoping to get an 'algae eater' as they are labeled in the store, and I was asked what size tank I have. I said a 20 gal. I was then told that the 'algae eater' would get up to a foot long, so if I got one I would have to upgrade to a 30 gal within a 3 month
Period. Okay, seriously, has anyone ever experienced one of these to get a FOOT long!? On the pet smart website it says, "these algae eaters only get about two inches long to they are perfect for small aquariums." And i refused buying the fish then because the employee looked at me and spoke to me in a tone that said "IF YOU DONT UPGRADE YOUR TANK AND SPEND MORE MONEY HERE SOON IM GONNA HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU FOR ANIMAL ABUSE!!" Has anyone had something similar to this happen to them before? (I don't have a pic because I didn't buy it and if I used a web pic I would get a copyright notice)

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I was young way back in the day, I wanted an algae eater. Told them I had a twenty long. This one is perfect! It’s even full grown. Plecostomus. The only one available around here back then. Ended up with a fifty gallon tank. Then ended up giving it to my used to be trusted LFS. It lived a long long time and was HUGE. But when I went back to the store to find out why it kept growing, the same guy told me they never sell those without letting the customer know they needed a bigger tank. I didn’t understand it then and it’s worse now. The sale or upsale is all they know.

kbn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plecos are huge. If you really want to keep them buy a huge tank cause they grow to more than a foot

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are several species that go by 'algae eater', it's one of the problems with fish being called by common names. Either the employee was poorly educated, or you two weren't talking about the same fish!

The other posters went straight to Common Plecos, but in my head I immediately thought Siamese Algae Eater. Otocinclus is another that goes by the generic algae eater term.

What did the fish look like in the store?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kbn said:
Plecos are huge. If you really want to keep them buy a huge tank cause they grow to more than a foot
Don’t I know it. But when I was sixteen, I trusted the store. I do love the common pleco but I don’t want that big a tank.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
“Algae eater” is such a generic term. It could specify many different species.

qldmick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i think you should get a bristlenose they grow to 15cm and are excellent algae eaters.
cheers
mick

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve never purchased a common due to this reason. I’ve seen a common in a LFS that was almost two feet long. Nobody will buy this unless they have a large pond.

I don’t think, in my opinion, that any pleco, regardless of size is appropriate for a 20.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depending on what “alge eater” they were referring to, I’d go back again. So many employees push the “only grow as large as the tank” or “bring him back when he gets too big” as a way of making sales. I have seen many plecos hit 8 inches plus.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lots of common "algae eaters" get over a foot long and the vast majority of algae eaters such as Chinese algae eaters and plecos get too big for a 20 gallon. We might be able to ID the species for you if you describe it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom