Any Negative Effects To Very High Kh? Help

Discussion in 'pH' started by Gatesy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Gatesy

Gatesy Valued Member Member

Hi all

One of my tanks that houses yellow labs has over 26Dkh
    I stopped testing at this point because I felt it was unessacery

But I was wondering if an extremely high KH would have any negative effects on my fish?

Thanks Gatesy

2. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

What kind of fish do you have? Have you checked the expiration date of your test regents? Are you shaking the bottle for at least a minute prior to testing? And lastly... What is your pH?

3. OP
    OP
    Gatesy

This tank houses 4 yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus)

The expiration of my GH KH kit is sometime in 2020, bottles all get shaken harshly before testing, tests are accurate as all my other tanks are testing exactly where I want them
    PH sits steady at 8.4

The reason why I ask is because I buffer this water with KH conditioner and could adjust the amount I use at water changes but it's more convienient to just use 1 teaspoon to each bucket of water

I know a lot of people on this forum do not like buffering water with chemicals, but I have had great success with them and find buffering naturally can cause my PH to drop after water changes before crushed coral/limestone etc can leach out and raise it again.

Thanks for the reply :)

4. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

So you know why your kH is sky-high why not add the kH booster to every other bucket until it comes down a bit so that you don't have to worry? Sounds as if you're adding an exorbitant amount of it. It could cause your pH to become too high to be tolerable for even African cichlids...

5. OP
    OP
    Gatesy

Have just done what you suggested sfsamm, used a mesureing spoon to half what I was adding to each bucket

PH has dropped to 8.2 and 14dKH

Much happier with these numbers :), I'll just test after each water change and adjust my input accordingly until the numbers are stable

Still curious though if anyone does know if a very high KH can have any effects to fish?, even when PH is ideal, I have googled but haven't found anything to satisfy my curiousity

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice