Any more fish for 10 gal tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ryba, Jan 6, 2013.

1. RybaNew MemberMember

Hello, i just registered, So im new here :) my question is if i can add any more fish to my 10 gal tank. I would like to add a suckerfish like a pitbull pleco or an oto. But i've heard they are schooling fish.
    Currently I have:
    3 guppies
    1 molly (but she will be moving out cause i heard they grow big)
    1 Amano shrimp
    The tank is also heavily planted with 5 plants. And i do weekly 20% Water changes.
    My Water parameters are all stable. So could i add any more fish like a pair of otos or a group of galaxy rasboras ( celestial pearl danios) or should i leave my tank as it is?

2. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Hello and Welcome!

Personally, maybe a couple more guppies if you wanted. But I wouldn't really add much more to it. Plecos aren't good for a 10G. Danios are also schooling fish and very active to boot. Other, more knowledgable people will be along presently to help you out better than I can.

3. Kiara1125Well Known MemberMember

I think a couple of otos will be fine. I had 3 in a 10g and they did great. Of course, you have to make sure that you have plenty of algae because they eat algae like little monsters and will starve quickly. The Amano shrimp is good for algae, but you can add a school of danios or even neon tetras if you want. What type of Molly do you have? Not all of them grow big. If livebearers are kept in a smaller tank (not tiny, just small) then they will still grow but be smaller, not stunted. It's only when they live in huge tanks like 55g's when they grow to be almost 4"-5". I think your Molly will be fine. I've had several mollies and platies in a 10g and they did fine. This is just what I think, but when I see numberous fish and their sizes, it makes sense to me.

4. RybaNew MemberMember

A shortfin gold molly and i have researched that they like hard water, not good for my other inhabitants.

5. Kiara1125Well Known MemberMember

Mollies are EXTREMELY adaptable. They can live in fresh, brackish, or salt water and they are very hardy. Your molly will be fine in its current conditions. I watched a documentary on cave mollies. There were some living in a pool of acidic water which was having sulphur leaking into it. They had appeared there naturally and have been surviving that way for thousands, if not millions, of years. Nature is unique and mollies are one of the hardiest and most adaptable fish out there.

6. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

That said, I couldn't agree with a molly in a 10g. Even the smaller varieties get a bit big and these guys are active. You might do a couple platies.

7. DaacWell Known MemberMember

I also wouldn't put the molly in. They get big (up to 4 or 5 inches) which is way to big for a 10 gallon. I would stick with guppies (all one sex or you will ahve lots of breeding) and maybe some shrimp and snails. I would not add ottos because of the incredible amount of algae they consume. Just to keep up with their eating i would say no less than a 30 gallon tank that is steadily growing algae for 3 ottos. If you can find ottos that are trained to eat algae tabs and other food for algae eaters (this is rare), then you could probably fit 2 or 3 in a ten gallon tank but that is with not other added fish (and the molly gone). You can keep the shrimp though because they have a very small bioload and will not get in anybody's way.

8. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

I agree. Not only do mollies get pretty big, but they also produce a LOT of waste. The minimum recommended tank size for mollies is 20 gallons. I personally wouldn't even put platies in, and they're basically like small mollies :p I would rehome the molly; removing just that one fish will free up space for another two or three guppies, because mollies produce so much waste.

I also wouldn't add a pleco, for the same reason - get too large and poop too much. Additionally, as Daac said, most otos don't adapt to supplied food well and only eat algae, so I would only recommend them for larger, established tanks with a good supply of algae.

Danios are too active for 10 gallons - especially 10 gallons, shared with other fish - and 20 gallon is the minimum recommended tank size. CPDs are schooling fish, and with the guppies I'm not sure if you'd have room bioload-wise for a full school - though they do have a pretty small contribution, so you could probably get away with it.

Personally I would add a few more guppies, but males only so you don't have a breeding problem. If you really don't want more guppies, then CPDs would probably be the next best choice, because they stay so small and produce so little waste. This is assuming, of course, that you can rehome the molly. If you can't, then unfortunately you don't have room for any more fish at all. They're poop machines!

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Pitbull plecos top out at 2 inches and they more readily eat prepared foods than otos. I think they're a good choice.

10. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Woops, I stand corrected. :;smack But even with the smaller size, I'd still be concerned that it would contribute too much to the bioload - I'm pretty sure that all plecos create a ton of waste.

11. RybaNew MemberMember

Okay So no plecos or danios. And i will rehome the molly. Thank you for all the advice :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice