Any Info On Porthole Cats?

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So ive read into what I can find about Porthole Catfish, thinking of adding a few when i get my 46gal bowfront.

Im finding conflicting info. Some sources say doesnt need to be kept in a shoal, others say it should be kept with some others.

I was thinking 3, but i also dont know how many will affect the bioload of the tank because aquadvisor doesn't even have them listed and im not sure what i could compare them to for bioload either.

So, anyone can tell me anything they think i should know about these cats? At first i saw them on my online source and thought they were kinda weird but then i saw a video of their whiskers and they sold on me lol

(I was also considering a school of shadow catfish, but im not sure if i can risk their diet as seems they prefer live food which is hard to come by here... i didnt want to chance it)

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found this little bit of info on them aside from how many should be kept and found it a bit informative. Which i'm sure if you were already searching around you found this site. Good luck Cool looking fish!!
How to care for Porthole catfish (Dianema longibarbis)
Edit: I actually seen that it said a group of 4 is suggested. Which always means the more the merrier!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
I found this little bit of info on them aside from how many should be kept and found it a bit informative. Which i'm sure if you were already searching around you found this site. Good luck Cool looking fish!!
How to care for Porthole catfish (Dianema longibarbis)
Edit: I actually seen that it said a group of 4 is suggested. Which always means the more the merrier!
And this source says 3-6 but also okay solitary. Fish research is confusing lol whats a reliable source and whats not...
Dianema longibarbis (Porthole Catfish)

I could go with 4, rather than 3. Theyd be the largest fish in the tank obviously lol everyone else are smaller fish (cories, kuhlis, javas, a dwarf gourami). I just have no idea how to factor in bioload since theyre unlisted

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Interesting. Yes it is confusing at times. Sometimes after a bit of research the best thing to do is dive right in and give them a go when you feel comfortable. Not sure if their more bottom dwellers ( which being a cat I'de asume they are ) that may make your 46 a bit crowded with your Corys and Kuhlis. Just another thing to think about.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would never trust aquadvisor, but that's because I have more knowledge and experience than they do. Basically, Porthole cats are a close relative of Hoplo cats. They tend to be more active, and usually less aggressive.

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
Minimal aggression, pretty active, and enjoy exploring the midlevels of the tank and resting on plants. I have 5 (4 dianema longibarbis, 1 "flagtail" porthole, which is a close variant, though a bit bigger--they all swim together) in a 45g and it has worked out nicely. Albeit, they are the only bottom dwellers of any kind in the tank.

I do think they may crowd the bottom of your tank a little bit as they grow out, but it's a workable situation. They're very fun fish to observe.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Interesting. Yes it is confusing at times. Sometimes after a bit of research the best thing to do is dive right in and give them a go when you feel comfortable. Not sure if their more bottom dwellers ( which being a cat I'de asume they are ) that may make your 46 a bit crowded with your Corys and Kuhlis. Just another thing to think about.
Ive read theyre a bit both bottom and mid dweller, which may work out. I plan on some plants to allow them to rest mid-level and i plan on creating some tiers in the tank scape.

chromedome52 said:
I would never trust aquadvisor, but that's because I have more knowledge and experience than they do. Basically, Porthole cats are a close relative of Hoplo cats. They tend to be more active, and usually less aggressive.
Thank you i did notice they look a lot similar to them.

nbalaw2016 said:
Minimal aggression, pretty active, and enjoy exploring the midlevels of the tank and resting on plants. I have 5 (4 dianema longibarbis, 1 "flagtail" porthole, which is a close variant, though a bit bigger--they all swim together) in a 45g and it has worked out nicely. Albeit, they are the only bottom dwellers of any kind in the tank.

I do think they may crowd the bottom of your tank a little bit as they grow out, but it's a workable situation. They're very fun fish to observe.
Im thinking of tiering the scape to allow higher and lower levels. Im thinking a group of 3 or 4? My cories and loaches are pretty docile and do well with our dwarf gourami. And hes a turd lol

Is there an alternative mid-level docile fish that could mix well? My dwarf gourami cant even be in with mollies, he and my female molly fight and they had to be separated into 2 tanks and they try to fight between the glass so i even had to put up a divider to block their view lol

Sinkins

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh, never heard about these fish before, but they sure do look very interesting!
I wish they were available where I live...

Please post some pictures if you decide to give them home

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It should be noted that the Flagtail Porthole is a different species, Dianema urostriatum. They get about an inch bigger than the D. longibarbis. Behavior is pretty much the same, though.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NoodleKeeper I kept both Dianema, they are peaceful and long lived if a bit boring. If treated as large Cory's you won't go wrong.

Mine never ate any tiny fish although my LFS reckoned they would eat Neons (but they also told me my Clown Loaches would be OK in a 3ft tank).

I have also kept Hoplo Catfish and Dwarf Hoplo Catfish which are similar.

I would say the Hoplo Catfish was by far the most characterful fish of the bunch, more outgoing and excitable than the shyer retiring Dianema. Not the dwarf species Lepthoplosternum pectorale though which was also more timid. I found Albino Bronze Cories were also fun to keep.

Only problem I ever had was my Harlequin shoal decided one day to eat the barbels which was very stressful to the catfish though they recovered.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
It should be noted that the Flagtail Porthole is a different species, Dianema urostriatum. They get about an inch bigger than the D. longibarbis. Behavior is pretty much the same, though.
The flagtail isnt available for me, just the regular is (yay for Canada limited online sources lol)

Redshark1 said:
NoodleKeeper I kept both Dianema, they are peaceful and long lived if a bit boring. If treated as large Cory's you won't go wrong.

Mine never ate any tiny fish although my LFS reckoned they would eat Neons (but they also told me my Clown Loaches would be OK in a 3ft tank).

I have also kept Hoplo Catfish and Dwarf Hoplo Catfish which are similar.

I would say the Hoplo Catfish was by far the most characterful fish of the bunch, more outgoing and excitable than the shyer retiring Dianema. Not the dwarf species Lepthoplosternum pectorale though which was also more timid. I found Albino Bronze Cories were also fun to keep.

Only problem I ever had was my Harlequin shoal decided one day to eat the barbels which was very stressful to the catfish though they recovered.
I love my cories, so that sounds good to me. Im okay with "boring", it's the little things i like mostly.
The smallest fish they will be housed with will be my false julii cories, no other smaller fish, only "top" swimmer is our dwarf gourami who is fine with bottom feeders in his home and even joins together with the cories and loaches to eat lol i cant mix much else because of his attitude with other upper level swimmers.

The dwarf hoplo species you mentioned is listed on my online source but its out of stock. Ive read the hoplos can be a little more aggressive potentially and i gotta watch already with the butthead gourami lol

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Megalechis thoracata The Hoplo Catfish is more active and interesting to watch but never aggressive. None of these catfish ever ate a Neon for example.

Dianema are lovely fish and if you like the look as I do they do not disappoint.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
Megalechis thoracata The Hoplo Catfish is more active and interesting to watch but never aggressive. None of these catfish ever ate a Neon for example.

Dianema are lovely fish and if you like the look as I do they do not disappoint.
Only the dwarf hoplo mentioned above is potentially available for me. Im restricted to online sources due to poor quality pet stores where i live, and im in canada so online sources are further limited. So no hoplos for me

But i do really like how the dianema look. Photos mostly make them look funny or awkward but seeing videos of them factually moving and more dimensional, theyre appealing. I love how their whiskers move.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NoodleKeeper Then get them. They are good value because they live a long time.

My catfish did well with sand and frequent water changes and I had two mature filters so I could clean one while the other was running at full efficiency.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom