Any info on my Gar fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nancyhl, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Nancyhl

NancyhlValued MemberMember

I got this gar a few months ago along with my 100 gallon tank from a friend of a friend, and I was told this was a marble gar. I have not been able to find much info about it, it seams to be very little information about this kind of fish. I hope you can tell me a little bit about Croco, that's how I named him.
    This is a video I took a couple of months ago:
    Another question: is this normal behavior? Cause sometimes he is very mellow just hanging on top or lying at the bottom, but sometimes he does this little dance.

http://youtu.be/ctMpAUGPQX8

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore!

First of all I don't think that is a Marbled Gar (Boulengerella maculata). Funny thing is, Marbled Gars aren't even real gars. They're actually called Spotted Pike Characin which is more accurate. Your fish looks like a Florida Spotted Gar (Lepisosteus platyrhinchus). That is not normal behavior. Your fish looks REALLY bored. I know that sounds weird but fish can get bored. Your fish is in a pretty bare tank with nothing to 'entertain' him. Your tank is also too small for him. Gars need at least a 200g tank but 400g is better. They also prefer to be in groups and have lots of surface vegetation along with very tall plants which grow to the surface. In nature they are often found in floating or tall weeds.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Rougue...you truely are an encyclopedia of all things fish!

4. RogueAgent94

LOL thanks! I think I can say with near certainty that I'm probably the only person on here that has kept these fish for a long time.

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I saw these for the first time at a new LFS today, what a coincidence! Hopefully you can intellectually stimulate your gar ;)

6. RogueAgent94

How the....? What rock have you been living under Zumi?

7. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I've heard of them in non-fish settings. Just didn't know people kept them in tanks!

8. OP
    OP
    Nancyhl

The person I got it from said they used to have two in the same tank I currently have him, but they kept fighting that they had to separate them. The other one died when whatever they used to separate them fell on it. That's why I thought this fish had to be kept by himself. He seamed to be very aggressive before with my African cichlids, but after I added my Dempseys he's become friends with my Africans. I currently have water wisteria floating because my Dempsey don't let it sit, but I tried putting plants when I just had d gar and he didn't like them either. My gar is happy now compared to how he was with the previous owners they said he never moved from the bottom and when I told them he was swimming all over they were happy to hear about it. I really don't want my gar to be bored, so will look into getting a bigger tank.

He started eating food pellets as well. I didn't want to feed him live fish, so I trained him to eat pellets. is this going to be a problem?

9. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

High protein pellets for cichlids should be fine for him, maybe some beefheart and red worms every now and then. These really are a Monster fish, either have a huge tank of a medium sized pond. The issue was that the tank was just too small for 2 of them. They look great in large tanks with a group of 3 or so. I had the fortune to come across natural living grounds of long nose gar in SC last year. A little pond in the middle of lake marion. It was 2ft deep at the most, completely grass covered and there were thousands of tree stumps, we could not take the outboard in there. There were thousands of mud carp in there, tons of bass and a few hundred long nose gar. They were all there for breeding it would seem, the gar were there for a good meal. They would always be swimming in groups of 3 though ALWAYS. It was an amazing sight. Thought id share.

10. OP
    OP
    Nancyhl

Thanks for sharing that, I will look into buying a bigger tank for him and maybe some companion. Would he try to eat smaller gar if I put them with him? He is a big boy now about 19"

11. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

12. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

If the tank is big enough you could keep something smaller then him/her(try to sort that out). Nothing less then half his size though. I do not think they are cannibals but still.

13. RogueAgent94

Younger gars are more prone to cannibalism rather than larger ones. But it isn't unheard of. Definitely try to get one near his size. As SK said, at least half his size. Oscars and Giant Gouramis were two of my favorite tankmates for my Gars. \

Also pellets are better for him than live fish. But just make sure you are feeding him high quality pellets and have at least three types to feed him. NLS and Hikari both make excellent pellets. Kensfish.com also has some good ones I believe.

14. OP
    OP
    Nancyhl

Thanks for your help everyone. I've learn more about Croco.