Any ideas?

1. onelovie Member Member

Yesterday I purchased two new fish for one of my tanks and I have no idea what they are.  The people working at the pet store weren't sure, either.  Anyway, I didn't think it would be very hard to find them online but I'm stumped!  Maybe someone can help me.
    The fish are each about 1.5 inches long.  They have long, thin bodies almost shaped like pencilfish.  Their top fins are translucent and their tailfins are red.  They have a black stripe that runs the entire length of their bodies, from their mouth to their tail.  Their body color is almost golden (kind of like my harlequin rasboras).  A few of the other fish of the same type at the pet store had more reddish bodies.  My first thought was that they are some type of tetra, but I've searched and looked at tons of different tetra species and couldn't find anything similar!

If nothing else, maybe the pet store has figured it out by now!  Thanks for your ideas.

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Do you have a photo you could post?

Sounds kinda like Crossocheilous siamensis but their tailfins are usually translucent as well. Do a google image search on Crossocheilous siamensis to see what I'm talkin about.

Mike

3. onelovie Member Member

I looked Crossocheilous siamensis up and I don't think that is what it is, mostly because of the red on the fins. I think it might be a flying fox, though. The website I looked at talked about different false Siamese Algae Eaters and the Flying Fox is sometimes sold as an SAE, apparently. I think I'm going to call the pet store to verify. Thanks for sending leading me there! I'll let you know when I find out for sure!