Any ideas?....

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 7.5gal tank and had had it for about just over 8 months. The first few months I spent trying to figure out what fish to keep in it. I decided on keeping a Betta and a few corries, but the Betta's kept dying (  :'( ) and then I realized there was something in my water that bettas couldn't live in + the corries died after about 3 months.  :-\ I then decided to keep 1 or 2 dwarf gouramies in there after I asked here and everyone thought it would be a good idea, but I never even got round to that, so then I ended up buying 5 male guppies (which everyone here helped me decide)which I really love. 1 of them died 3 days after getting them so I bought another, then they all lived happily for about 1-2 months. By now I only have 2 left, (Bruno and Joe).

Now, I'm going to stop boring you with that story, and ask you again, for about the hundredth time in the last 8 months (exaggerating a bit maybe!!  ), :
What could I put in there with the 2 that are left?
Should I just get more guppies, or something different?
Or should I just leave them as they are?

Thanks

You're all a great help.

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well first you should figure out why all the fish are dyeing. Test your water for everything, are you doing weekly water changes, overfeeding, water temp, good filter, good dechlor, etc etc. Oh also check for info on your city's water. I know some cities have a high nitrate content in their water or other bad stuff in there. Or are your fish dying of disease? Do they look/act funny before they die?

Well I think you get the point. It seems strange that your fish are dying so much so I'd try to find out why before adding more.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I asked about the guppies dying in this post :

I am testing the water tomorrow  (usualy do it on a monday) and will give you the results if it helps. I do try to do weekly water changes but lately I have been busy with exams at school and things so tried to do it as often I could. The water temp is 26' C (79' F), my filter is pretty good and very quiet, it is a duetto DJ 50 filter, and I use API Stress Coat as dechlor.

Our water does not have high nitrAte or anything, I tested the other day.

The fish who die all seem to act differently before they die, and a couple haven't seemed ill at all. I know the guppies were just resting on the plants a lot.

It is realy sad that they always die, when my danios and neons that I've had right from the start and all lived through cycling the tank (I didn't know about cycling at the time) are still alive and also nothing realy serious has ever gone wrong in the tank!! (touch wood!!) It's just realy odd.  ???

Hope this helps. What do you think?

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There has to be some reason for your fish dying. Did they stop eating before they died? Did anything at all possibly look strange or different about them?

Oh, what size are they? Is it possible they could have died of old age? wait no probably not since you also lost several fish before them. hmmm....

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know it is wierd isn't it. From what I can remember none of them stopped eating exept the bettas I had ages ago but I know why I can't keep bettas, it's because of something in the water (or that's what the guy at the lfs told me) but it makes sence because they couldn't keep them either.

They never seem to look ill until the last minute usualy and then I'm too late to do anything to help. 1 o f the corries I had (before he died) swam upside down at the surface for a day but I couldn't save him either.

I doubt the corries died of old age because they were only about 3/4 of an inch.

I just remembered that before the bettas died their fins turned grey and the same happened to 1 of the guppies. does this help?

Thanks

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know what to think. This is wierd. Sounds almost like it could have been something like poisoning that killed them, like if the city added something to their water one day. idk, just a thought. I'll keep thinking.

Oh, almost forgot...you said they didn't look sick till the last minute...so what did they look like "at the last minute"? What symptoms were they showing?

Sorry for all the questions.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They would just rest on the plants or not being able swim and would just kind of sink to the bottom, then they'd try and swim again but then the same would happen.

Just so you know, I tested the water :

Ammonia - 0
NitrIte - 0
NitrAte - 10
PH - 7.0

Seems normal, nothing is bad.

Thanks for trying to help, I can't think of resons either. ???

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wierd question maybe, but did their back seem bent/curved? Were there any signs of what could have been finrot? Wierd coloration?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No they didn't seem bent/curved. The first guppie that died did have finrot and that was obvious, but I tried my best help him but he died, but used melafix in the tank for a few days afterwards to make sure none of the others had it then everything was fine for a while. None of the guppies had wierd colouration before they died.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Omorrokh, you've a lot of help. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I'd realy like to put something else in with them but don't know if it'l be ok. :-\ ???

Thanks

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If city water would be causing problems, you could switch to buying gallon jugs of distilled or RO water and see if that would help.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marc said:
If city water would be causing problems, you could switch to buying gallon jugs of distilled or RO water and see if that would help.
I don't remember now...have you tested your tap water? Wait didn't you mention earlier that you can't keep Bettas because of something in your water? Could you find out what that is?
If there is a problem with your city water just don't keep them in 100% distilled water...the distillation process removes ALL the trace minerals in tap water, which fish need. You could do a part-distilled or spring water and part-tap water mixture. However Idk what % of each to use (I think Rose could tell you as she has horrible tap water at certain times of the year and has to use some spring water).

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The thing with the bettas was that they kept dying then we talked to the maneger at the lfs and he said that they couldn't keep them either and only suggested that there might be something in the water, but that they couldn't find anything wrong (I always talk to this man because he isn't like any other person in an lfs that hardly knows anything about fish I know he has a lot of fish himself and takes good care of them).

I talked to my mum about using spring water but she won't let me do that because it would cost too much money and when I test tap water it all seems fine and I can't find anything wrong with it.

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If it's something the LFS can't test for, I guess one thing you could do (if you're REALLY bored) is contact the water company and get a list of what exactly ends up in the water, then contact a marine biologist. But, that's really over-complicating things.

Have they been able to keep other labyrinth fish? Oh, and on a side note, I've had the same problem with guppies as you did, but I think it was due to extensive in-breeding. They don't end up too healthy, and in the long run, it's not good at all.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes the lfs do keep other labyrinth fish.

I won't be getting problems with in-breeding. All my guppies are male.

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Most show/fancy guppies are already extremely in-bred.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
oh right. What do you think I should do?

Gwenz

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
get shrimp I agree with Marc most guppies don't live very long from all the breeding.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well... keep them for as long as they live and pick a different fish to stock it with if the guppies at your LFS are too inbred.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom