Any ideas

1. bettawaters Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone!
    My mum's birthday is coming up soon, and I'm making her a garden in a jar. Ive purchased some grape hyacinths to put in it, and am wondering about what other plants/ mini sculptures to add to it? I know some people on he forum have a real eye for decorating and/ or gardening and am wondering if you had any ideas. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone!:;fb

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

How little of a jar is it? I have white tulips planted with my grape hyacinths against a colbat blue bird bath. I realize ofcourse the bird bath won't fit but another small colbat blue glazed ordament would look pretty. I also have other white and blue flowers planted in my backyard garden, so the whole yard is varying shades of blue/ purple and white with one yellow rosebush for contrast. Easter lillys look pretty next to blue too...

3. bettawaters Well Known Member Member

Thanks! those are great ideas, and your garden sounds beautiful. The jar is about 1/2 a gallon

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I really need too take photos, the backyard is, as I said blues and whites, the front yard is all warm colors ...hot pinks, reds, oranges and bright yellows, after early spring. the spirng bulbs in the front are all pastel shades, soft yellows, pinks and blues.

5. bettawaters Well Known Member Member

Wow! What sort of flowers are in your front? roses? I mostly just get daffs and crocuses in spring! For the jar, I was thinking maybe making some little toadstools out of clay and painting them red with spots and putting them in the jar.

6. RTBS Member Member

You dont have to make your mom a gift just because it is her birthday I guarantee if you give her a gift "just because" it will mean alot more because she will know you gave her a gift because you love her and not because it was her birthday and u felt like you had to give her a gift...

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Right now there are hyachenths and crocus blooming, and the pink daffodils and tulips have sprouted.

In the next couple months everything else will start:
    2 pink lilacs
    Pink peonies
    4 rose bushes (3 different pinks and a red)
    Emperor lillies
    Yellow and pink daylilys
    White scabiosa (pincushion flowers)
    Cala lilies
    German iris
    And I usually plant some marigolds
    That's the front yard.
    Backyard

1 blue butterfly bush
    1 blue rosebush
    1 white rose
    1 yellow rose
    7 white peonies
    White daffodills
    White, purple and almost black tulips
    Grape hyacinths
    Russian sage
    Hostas
    Purple astilbe
    Lily of the vally
    Trumpet lilies
    White day lilies
    Hardy geraniums
    early snow drops
    Star of bethlhem
    Mums
    Lilthrope
    Scabiosa
    Bleeding hearts (white)
    Lavender
    German Iris
    Dutch iris
    I think that's it but I feel like I am forgetting something...

8. lea Well Known Member Member

Sounds pretty Lexi!

Bettawaters: i guess you're cramped for space in a 1/2gal jar, so maybe a cluster of alyssum or violas, any tiny flower which is hardy and will grow in that space. I'd put a few well-placed pebbles and/or twigs in there too for a 'hardscape' for them to grow around. Maybe if you can find some small stones with lichen or moss already on them that would give it all a sense of age and scale too :).

Interested to see how this turns out!

9. bettawaters Well Known Member Member

I dont feel i have to but i think its a nice idea. Thanxs for ur input!:;fb

10. bettawaters Well Known Member Member

Thanks! they are great ideas ill try and post pics when its done!
    Lexi, wow! you must be quite the botanist! I love lily of the valley, and your daffodils sound stunning:;nw
    @lea, thanks! That lichen and twigs idea sound great, I was looking for that kind of idea. :;banaman