Any Ideas What This Is Question

1. redbeard9 Initiate Member

f19ef0efe4a5eec293767bd404f59f47.jpg
    White spot/line above mouth.

I didn't notice it the first day I got this serpae tetra. I've had this fish for about four days. I hasn't gotten any bigger since I noticed it.

2. Katie13 Well Known Member Member

It appears to be cottonmouth.

3. redbeard9 Initiate Member

Better pic
    619418b2d6382211e2ed07c504be7aea.jpg

4. ChiefBrody Member Member

Serpae tetra

5. redbeard9 Initiate Member

Thanks. lol

I was asking about the white on the serpae's mouth.

6. Frisky2011 Initiate Member

My first thought when I read "White spot on the mouth" was Mouth Rot. Is the white spot on his mouth at all fluffy? If it is, then it could be Mouth Rot, but read through the symptoms from this website to see if they match to what your fish has. -> Aquarium Fish Mouth Fungus - Petcha

If not mouth rot, then it could be Columnaris… it's a disease that could've been brought on by stress (brought on during the time it took for the fish to be transported from the place you got it to your house). I'd recommend that you keep an eye on him so you'll be able to notice if he acts differently. Here's a link to another forum page and a link to a website about Columnaris:

1. Columnaris Forum Link -> Columnaris Symptoms And Treatment

2. (I've used this website many times from when my Goldfish had Ich, Fin Rot, Mouth Rot, Body Rot, and Hemorrhagic Septicemia in the past, and the info I found was very helpful when I needed to find a medicine to match an illness's type(Bacterial/Fungal & Gram Negative/Gram Positive) when using meds! I also learned how to take better care of my fish along the way!) ( Columnaris Website info -> Columnaris Disease in Aquarium Fish

7. redbeard9 Initiate Member

Thanks frisky. I read the article. My LFS said it may just be the he/she ran into something in my tank. The white spot doesn't have a cottony/woolly look to it so I'm not sure what it is. But, so far so good. He/she is still the biggest and the bully of my serpae group.