any ideas for stocking a 50 gallon?

1. l

laurenm New Member Member

im my 50gallon tank i have 2 kibensis cichlids, 2 kissing gouramis, 3 penguin tetras, 1 neon tetra, 1 black phanton tetra, 1 clown loach, 1 rainbow shark and 3 common plecos. (i didnt choose these fish they came with the tank.) because all of these fish are relativly small, it looks quite emty, and im looking for two or three large bright fish to give the dull display some colour. i was thinking angels, gouramis or rainbow fish, but i've had a bad experience with agressive angels, so if anyone has any ideas of which non-expensive bright fish can go in my 50gallon i'd love to hear. :)

2. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

You NEED to rehome the loach, shark, and all of the plecos. Then, bump up your schools of each type of tetra as they like to swim with buddies. The loach will get to 8" MINIMUM and they also like buddies. The common plecos can get up to 18" each. The rainbow shark will more than likely get more aggressive as it gets older and terrorize the rest of the stock that you have in the tank.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I don't know how big your fish are now, but kribs grow to 4 inches, Rainbow sharks to 6 inches and common plecos to 24 inches. I don't know that you have room for anything else unless you rehome the pleco's in your tank. I do think if you rehomed the pleco's a couple RAMs would be a nice addition.

4. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Valued Member Member

I LOVE kissing fish!!! So jealous!! :p

5. jbdub

jbdub Valued Member Member

Ballon Rams all the way, can be pricey though. If you can see one in a LFS you'll defo want a pair.

They may seem a bit similar to your kissing gourami's though

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:;du I have moved this thread to Aquarium Stocking Questions

7. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

As others have stated, before deciding on what types of new fish to introduce to your tank, you need to make sure the ones you have are stocked properly. I'm not sure even one common pleco would be recommended in a 50 gallon tank, much less three. To summarize in a list (because I love lists):

1. Rehome your plecos. If you like plecos, consider a bristlenose or rubber lip pleco, as they stay much smaller than commons.
    2. Rehome your clown loach. They also get much too big.
    3. Rehome your rainbow shark. In addition to getting too big for a 50 gallon tank, they will also become aggressive, and they might require schools (not sure on that one).
    4. Increase the number of tetras so you have full schools of each. The usual suggestion is at least 6-8 tetras for a school. If you don't want three full schools of tetras, maybe pick one or two varieties and rehome the rest.

I am not really familiar with kissing gouramis or kribs so I cannot really comment on them, hopefully someone more experienced will come along.

If you rehome your soon-to-be larger fish and fix your tetra schools, then you might have more room to consider new additions.

Best of luck! :)

8. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Rainbow sharks do not like to be in schools. They are very territorial and are very aggressive. It's best to stick with one rainbow shark per tank.

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Oops! Looks like I learned something today too. Maybe that's bala sharks I'm thinking of...? In that case, it might be okay in the tank, but since I obviously don't know about rainbow sharks, we'll see what others have to say ;D

10. d

deon junior Valued Member Member

am i totally wrong but kissing gouramis get pretty big as well dont they?

11. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Valued Member Member

I just love how the kissing gouramis go round kissing each other and things with their huge 'lips' :p haha
    So cool!

Never heard of a rainbow shark before :/

12. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hey laurenm,
    I may not have welcomed you yet, so welcome to fishlore :;hi1

First off, IMO, some of the fish you have will most likely outgrow the tank, and you should consider what you're going to do when that happens. But for now, if they are still small (juveniles) then that's ok, but do some reading and be prepared.

Generally one of two things happens, the fish get moved to bigger homes, and the fish-keeper is sad :( or the fish-keeper gets a bigger tank, keeps the fish, and both are happy.... Fishlore will definitely help you get (and/or justify) the bigger tank :giggle: we've been enabling MTS for years :;laughing

Oh - and for those following - just a small bit on the Kissing Gourami -the 'kissing' is actually an 'aggressive' sign, and a 'fight for dominance' so to speak.... There's no romance in it (sorry to spoil the dream)
    https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-KissingGourami.htm

13. OP
    OP
    l

laurenm New Member Member

thanks for the suggestions, i love rams, but theyre way too expensive in my area, like $40 per fish. and sorry for the misunderstanding but im my area common plecos and bristlenoses are the same thing... theyre at their maximum size of about 8cm.