Any Ideas For Free Natural Substrates

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by TheMadScientist, Apr 24, 2018.

1. TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

Bassicly as the title says I'm not cheap by any means I just spent 150 on my marineland 220 canister I have a lot of natural creeks here with Sandy small smal gravels here.
    Of coarse I would rinse and wash it in some vinegar.
    But my question is more would it be safe once it settled to add in maybe a corner of my 50 as I have a single UG filter plate in the center of the tank running two risers.
    I'm not talking dumping 50 lb in maybe a half pound or so. I want to give my corys a nice soft spot so they're not always digging in my aquarium gravels I'm worried it'll hurt their barbs.

2. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Most people will say getting anything from outside runs risks. But if you are only doing a small amount and you properly rinse and decontaminate I don't see a problem with it. But forewarning I'm probably going to be the only one in your thread to say so LOL. I have successfully put things in my tank from outside with no issues. But always remember there are things that we can't see that can be deadly to fish. So it is a definite Gamble. What I would recommend if you have a smaller tank with nothing in it which is unlikely, but if you do try it there first see if it changes anything

Edit to add: I love your name haha. And welcome to fishlore

3. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Nope, you're not the only one @Ms rose :D

I actually did exactly that with some moss I have growing on top of our well house (no longer use that well but the little building is still here) I now have it in my 5 gallon tank and the molly fry love it. I have had it in there for well over a year now but didn't add any occupants for several months after I put it in there.

I have some more of it that I am in the process of cleaning with the thought of adding it to my big tank. I may chicken out on that though and just go ahead and buy some java moss grown specially for an aquarium.

Go for it @TheMadScientist As long as you clean it well I see no problem using it. The only problem I see is getting your corys to actually stop digging in the gravel. They may use the playground you want to provide for them but may not.

4. TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

Thank you good sir/mam for the response. O have in the past used outside objects. But it's more about the more I know.
    I have had this nickname since high school I work on many types of electronics most things diy and such. A auto mechanic by day and a android phone repair by night I use this name on every site I can I am a forum moderator on xda developers lol

But I have had most of my fish other than the babies going on a year and figured I would get the input before going rash desicion making

5. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Wow that's great good for you. Can't go wrong when working with electronics, ps always always do what works for you regardless of what others opinions are

Pps, it's a ma'am lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice