Any idea what this hairy stuff is?

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, it's definitely algae, maybe the start of stag horn but not totally sure as it's too small, look at how long your lights are on for or the presence of bright sunshine on the tank & also how much you are feeding, algae grows well in light & nutrient rich water.

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Reaction score
Aufwuchs. It's kind of a blanket term for single cell algae, zooplankton, micro organisms, etc. It's a German word. Anyhow, lots of fish will eat it, and my shrimp love it. Also fish fry eat this well, my guppy fry I add to my shrimp tank ate mine to almost gone in just a couple weeks.
I have pictures I can post that show it in great detail of you want to compare. :)

OP
michaelsf90

michaelsf90

Reaction score
The fish aren't interested one bit. I'm having a tough time with my tank at the minute. A lot of things seem to be going on with the chemistry and things seem to be changing despite regular water changes and cleaning. I think the snails like it tho!

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
michaelsf90 said:
I've added crushed coral to raise ph for snails. Could it be this that has caused a bacterial bloom? Ive lost a few fish as well. Say I added crushed coral two months ago?
Unlikely, pH doesn't have a big effect on algae at normal levels, a high pH (8+) will encourage growth though, how high is your now? As said above if you feed sparingly & fast your fish a couple of days a week many of them will graze on the algae & if you put in half a dozen nerite snails they'll go to work on it & clean up in no time.

OP
michaelsf90

michaelsf90

Reaction score
I'm starting fasting days. I just need to work out what's killing my fish. The usual parameters are always flawless so something else is causing stress or harming the fish. My ph with crushed coral in is 7. Without crushed coral it dropped to below 6

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
michaelsf90 said:
I'm starting fasting days. I just need to work out what's killing my fish. The usual parameters are always flawless so something else is causing stress or harming the fish. My ph with crushed coral in is 7. Without crushed coral it dropped to below 6
What fish do you have that are dying? I had the same issue with pH as you, it kept dropping to low 6 & even below sometimes, I also put crushed coral into my filter & it's now up to a healthy 7.2 which is great for my rainbows (and snails which were looking a bit tattered in the low pH). I'm sure you already know but pH fluctuations can stress fish out & make them more susceptible to diseases.

AsleepInYorkshire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
michaelsf90 said:
The fish aren't interested one bit. I'm having a tough time with my tank at the minute. A lot of things seem to be going on with the chemistry and things seem to be changing despite regular water changes and cleaning. I think the snails like it tho!
I may be telling you something you already know. Water changes are only really as good as the quality of the water you're putting back. We have issues with our tap water. High nitrates 10ppm and high phosphates 2ppm. I've never been concerned about the nitrates as we can actually bring them down through the filter. But the phosphates have dictated the time the lights can be on. So we've opted for RODI water and a phosphate reactor. My 13 year old daughter keeps tropical fish. Dad (me) is both the cost consultant and biologist. The former is easy, however, the latter is keeping me on my toes :eek: .

The main constituents of algae seem to be nitrates and phosphates. And phosphates as high as 2ppm is asking for an algae outbreak if the lights are on for long periods. We have two Fluval Plant 3 LED's which do exactly what it says on the tin. And Co2.

And in a smaller tank I think all of the above are magnified. If the tank receives direct sunlight at any time of the day that will also help algae.

I think simply put it's a balancing act. I'm overcoming the issues with my daughters tank through cost. I can simply buy my way out of the problem. But that's not a solution for others.

I've spoken a lot about our experience as it may apply to yours now? I'm not sure what is creating your algae, but suspect it's a combination of things all coming together in a perfect storm.

Work on it - you'll get there.

We are and it's taken some effort :smug:

But I know this much, failure can't cope with persistence :joyful:

P1020411.JPG

AiYn'U

OP
michaelsf90

michaelsf90

Reaction score
It is phosphates that will be causing it. Crushed coral leeches phosphates. I changed from gravel to sand. Raises phosphates. Some of my plants are losing a lot of leaves. Fertiliser just made the algae worse. I've ordered a clean and clear pad for my filter which is suppose to contain a resin that removes phosphates. Its all a learning curve. And I agree with you it gets expensive. I cant afford to buy expensive gizmos so I'm hoping this pad and plenty of water changes will clear it up and I'm going to use stress coat which will hopefully help the fish. The tap water here doesn't contain any nitrates its just very very sofr

The ph fluctuations were about 3 months ago and no fish died then so I dont understand why they would be now unless its fluctuating daily. Its the danios its affecting. Corys and snails are fine. It was pearls at first but now one of my zebras is acting up. Zebra danios are bulletproof!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom