Any Idea What These Are? Bug? Snail?

kjw0916

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The pics aren't great. Basically I noticed one of my plants was being nibbled at but the tank only has a betta and some mystery snails in it so there shouldn't be any plant eaters. While I was looking at the plant I noticed these two things. Completely different but haven't seen either before. I haven't added anything to my tank recently so no idea where they came from either.

Pic 1 it's the light brown thing in the gravel.
Pic 2 it's the spot on the glass in front of the plant and white marble.
20190904_182000.jpg
20190904_181951.jpg

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like a snail from what I can tell. Probably came with the plant and you just haven't noticed them.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Attachments

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The one on the glass is a snail. Not sure what the other is. Did it move very fast? Could be a scud. What have you added new from the store to your tanks recently.

kjw0916

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It looks like one of my weird flat-shelled ramshorn type snails. They start off REALLY tiny, almost impossible to really see. Theyre cute snails though. From the right angle, their shell looks flat, like in your photo. Very narrow. Moves like its horizontal

Gyro snail its called. Check out the photo of it on its side, very narrow shell
Gyro Snails (Genus Gyraulus) · iNaturalist.org
Flexed Gyro (Gyraulus deflectus) observed by keevilm on August 12, 2019 · iNaturalist.org
It does look like that! Cool. I've never had ramshorn snails. Not sure where it came from but I guess I'll wait to see if it becomes a problem.

The one on the glass is a snail. Not sure what the other is. Did it move very fast? Could be a scud. What have you added new from the store to your tanks recently.
It didn't move while I was looking. The only new things in my tank are decorations that weren't in water at the store and some seachem pristine that I am trying out. The decorations have been in there for a couple of weeks but I don't think they could have been carrying snails dry off the shelf.

Can you get a picture with a magnifying glass?
I really need to get one of those. I got it out of the tank and got a closer picture.
20190904_205741.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kjw0916

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just can't figure out where they came from. It's crazy.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have those in my 120g too! They came in with a big bear sword from my LFS. I saw them before I planted, washed the plant like usual, but still got them. Kindof a pain, but I squish them against the glass and feed them to my fish. My gold pearlscale angelfish is always waiting for them when I'm squishing haha! Good source of fresh protein for her. All the angels and rams will eat them though.

kjw0916

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have those in my 120g too! They came in with a big bear sword from my LFS. I saw them before I planted, washed the plant like usual, but still got them. Kindof a pain, but I squish them against the glass and feed them to my fish. My gold pearlscale angelfish is always waiting for them when I'm squishing haha! Good source of fresh protein for her. All the angels and rams will eat them though.
Will bettas eat them? They're small enough.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Will bettas eat them? They're small enough.
I think they could pick off limpets, but it seems the shell might be too hard. Idk, I have to squish them first before my angels eat them. They will just spit them out if they are not squished.

Edit: I reread that. Yes, I think a betta would eat a squished mini ramshorn.

cmnicole

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely a snail. It must of come from the plants, and if you got the plants from your other tank then the snails are in your other tank.

kjw0916

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely a snail. It must of come from the plants, and if you got the plants from your other tank then the snails are in your other tank.
It's not the plants. I've had them for 6 months with no sign of these snails before. The only thing I finally realized it could be is if I put some of the water from the betta cup in the tank. I really can't remember if I did. But the fish is the only thing that has gone in that tank that has touched water that wasn't in my larger tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom