Any idea what might of happened?

PawPrint

I got 2 common goldfish last year, B and C.
I kept them in a 20L (5 gal?) for about 9 months. I know, not a good thing, but I was a child and had no way to get a new tank.

About 4 months ago I noticed that C had got a little white spot. Not ich, it looked almost like a pimple. He showed no difference in behavior and it didnt seem to bother him, but I put him into a separate 20L. The pimple disappeared within the fortnight.

2 months ago I bought a new tank, 158L (40 gal?), and decided to move them in the day of setup.
I put there current filters in it and let it run for about 3 hours.
B had been very sick looking and was staying on the bottom of the tank, so I wanted to get him into a better tank asap. I put them in and B swam around a bit but then went straight back to the bottom.
12 days later, I woke up to B dead. C was still acting fine. I chalked it up to internal damage from the old tanks and kept an eye on C to make sure he didnt start getting sick.

4 weeks later, 1 week ago, C still hadn't shown any signs of illness. I decided to get him some tank mates. I bought 6 zebra danios home and added them to the tank. He chased them for about a minute before he left them alone and went and sat in a corner at the top of the tank.
About 3 days later he went from sitting in the top corner, to sitting in the bottom corner. I figured he just didn't like having tank mates that much.
His fins were clamped, but he was still eating fine.
I tried to feed him last night and he swallowed the pellet and immediately spat it back out. I had been adding extra flakes to the tank for the danios, but only one of them had actually ate the food as far as I saw, so he was getting a bit more food then usual (I did scoop the flakes out after about 5 minutes, but he'd always get a few of them).

2 hours ago, he had seated him self underneath the lip of his decoration and was lying there. He came out about an hr ago and swam around a bit before going back under. I went to check on him, and he was dead.
When I scooped him out, I noticed blood of his underside, right where his privates were. After confirming he was actually dead, I massaged his stomach and blood and small white/yellow balls came out, almost like the pus from popping a pimple.
I'm not sure what happened, but I'm very worried about the danios now. I did a water test a few days before, and a 15% water change, and there was no clear issues with the water. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate.
Please, if anyone has any idea what happened, I dont want to lose the danios too.

idk

When I scooped him out, I noticed blood of his underside, right where his privates were. After confirming he was actually dead, I massaged his stomach and blood and small white/yellow balls came out, almost like the pus from popping a pimple.

I'm no goldfish expert so would love someone else to jump in and correct me if I am wrong! Depending on how small the little balls were, they sounds like goldfish eggs. C might've been a girl. If she was particularly swollen or bloated, egg binding could be a possibility however I think I read somewhere that it was rare.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
mryan15
Replies
Views
UnknownGuppyLover
Top Bottom