Any Idea How Long Fish Viruses Live?

ComradeM

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, I had a sick DG, and I cleaned the tank with a bleach and water solution, got rid of the old gravel, rinsed the plants in tap water. I believe chlorine in the tap water killed any virus, yes? I rinsed the filter, and ran the tank for a week. I didn’t want to throw the nice cycles filter medium away because shouldn’t the virus be essentially gone in an empty tank- nothing to live on? I want to move my Betta into this tank. I believe I’ve read that Betta are susceptible to DGD because they are both labyrinth fish. Think my tank is safe?

ComradeM

Valued Member
Reaction score
I forgot to say that I tested my tank and the parameters are fine. Again, I didn’t throw away the cycled filter, so it looks like the tank is ok in that sense

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally i wouldnt risk it.

I think most have a 2 to 4 week life out side of a host so Id qt the tank for a minimum of 4 weeks but id be happier with 6.

If you have any other tanks you can use filter media from there to instant cycle this tank. Also make sure you sanatize all eqipment you use for tank maintenance.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And also, keep in mind for future reference: That protzoa, worms, parasites etc. can also dwell "in waiting" in your substrate, and sometimes also be immune to certain meds at specific times and stages of their life cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom