Any Guitar Players?

73ivip357
Any other guitar players out there?

Coryd55
I used to play . Stopped because I got tired of practicing so much and didn't have time to do anything else.

My favorite song to play was Dust in the Wind and all other finger picking songs. I ahted using a pick.

Cory

MagpieTear
I slaughter any bass line put in front of me, does that count?

ShaynaB
Me!

I play acoustic mostly.

Bonochick
I was given an acoustic last year, and I've been trying to teach myself some basics, but my fingers don't want to cooperate (yes, I'm blaming it all on them!). It's fun to mess around with though.

mychl717
I play a little... never took lessons or anything, but it's fun to play and sing w/ my daughter jumping around...

lisamorie
this is my hubby-- he is ridiculously good, but he makes funny faces!

73ivip357
ill trade you all my fish for the amp in the background

lisamorie

he would absolutely kill me!

FishnFry
I used to play a lot (acoustic) but had since slowed waaaay down since I moved. I'm starting to get back at it though now that my daughter got a new guitar for Christmas . She doesn't really play it but I'm trying to teach her the basic chords and hopefully she'll be more interested.

FitSoldier
Okay, so I've done a lot of research before delving into this world. I've never even touched a guitar in my entire life (until now). But I always fantasized about learning. So I bought a 2019 Gibson SG Standard electric guitar.

I have a friend who played acoustic guitar (plays drums mostly) that can show me the absolute basics, but I'm ultimately going to self-teach (via YouTube).

My ultimate objective is really to be able to play my favourite songs (Judas Priest, AC/DC, some alt. rock tracks) flawlessly. I don't plan on writing my own music.

Some songs I want to master are: Fallen Angels by Black Veil Brides, Halls of Valhalla by Judas Priest, Grinder by Judas Priest, Eyes of a Panther by Steel Panther, etc. If I practice 1 hour per day, roughly how long is it going to take me to be able to play those songs? The guitars in these tracks sound quite nice. Are they difficult tracks to learn?

Not in a rush. I'm taking this like learning a martial art. Any advice appreciated as well!

fish 321
Honestly its kind of hard to esimate how long it will take to learn those, it really depends on your musical ability and you ability to take in instructions. I have been playing acoustic guitar for 7 years and just started playing electric last December and it has alot of differences from acoustic, I recomend starting off learning simple guitar songs and getting to know the fretboard and the different techniques and gradually work your way up to more dificult songs. Also your fingers need to be able to move really fast.

FitSoldier
Honestly its kind of hard to esimate how long it will take to learn those, it really depends on your musical abilty and you ability to take in instructions. I have been playing acoustic guitar for 7 years and just started playing electric last December and it has alot of differences from acoustic, I recomend starting off learning simple guitar songs and getting to know the fretboard and the different techniques and gradually work your way up to more dificult songs. Also your fingers need to be able to move really fast.

That's awesome. You should be able to learn electric extremely easy then! Just from your experience, are the songs I suggested difficult to play?

My research told me learning electric guitar was actually slightly easier than acoustic. I'm not sure why because I have zero experience.

Right now I'm mostly doing single string riffs over and over again and beginner level power chords.

BigManAquatics
Electrics are a tad more forgiving than acoustics and the frets are a little more closely spaced on an electric guitar than an acoustic. A lot of Judas Priest riffs aren't especially hard to play, but if you are just learning your fingers are probably quite stiff and clumsy. Their solos are another story entirely.

fish 321
That's awesome. You should be able to learn electric extremely easy then! Just from your experience, are the songs I suggested difficult to play?

My research told me learning electric guitar was actually slightly easier than acoustic. I'm not sure why because I have zero experience.

Right now I'm mostly doing single string riffs over and over again and beginner level power chords.
They don't seem too dificult to play but don't seem easy to play and will probably require alot of practice. Just for kicks look up G.O.A.T. by Polyphia it has some crazy guitar playing in it.

Electrics are a tad more forgiving than acoustics and the frets are a little more closely spaced on an electric guitar than an acoustic. A lot of Judas Priest riffs aren't especially hard to play, but if you are just learning your fingers are probably quite stiff and clumsy. Their solos are another story entirely.
Interesting I never really noticed a difference in the frets, I have been doing alot of fingerpicking and it seems easyer to do on an electric guitar as the strings seem to be looser than an acoustic which makes it easyer to pluck the strings and doesn't strain my hand as much.

Whitewolf
I spent my life self-teaching on the guitar slowly off and on over the years and until recently i was terrible. Learn all your chords, A B C D E F G and then learn the barr chord positions and then find some songs on youtube to play along with the chords open on another page or wrote on a piece of paper. Also i use Chord U that gives you a general idea the notes to play along to songs. I am a drummer first, and like i said i play along rhythm guitar to my favorite songs.

Utar
I used to be back years ago a very accomplished guitar player/entertainer. I played in clubs, restaurants, and block parties. As it as been said in someways already here, it all depends on your natural talent.

The best way to learn is doing so with others, and other people will teach you as well as you teaching them. For years I was in a music club, and we feed off each other for encouragement, learning and helping each other.

Just like being here on fishlore chatting with other fish keepers we are reaching out to others with similar desires for aquariums to learn and enrich our own feelings about the hobby. So this also goes with learning to play music, get with other people that are desiring the same. By doing so you will learn much faster, and enrich your experience for music.

If you are interested you can go to youtube and listen to one of my songs. I recorded this on the cheap with an old cheap guitar, and using my cell phone. I was just a whim, so I did it. So it is not that great.
Now I would post it here but the last time I did this the moderator removed it so I will just link it.

FitSoldier
I used to be back years ago a very accomplished guitar player/entertainer. I played in clubs, restaurants, and block parties. As it as been said in someways already here, it all depends on your natural talent.

The best way to learn is doing so with others, and other people will teach you as well as you teaching them. For years I was in a music club, and we feed off each other for encouragement, learning and helping each other.

Just like being here on fishlore chatting with other fish keepers we are reaching out to others with similar desires for aquariums to learn and enrich our own feelings about the hobby. So this also goes with learning to play music, get with other people that are desiring the same. By doing so you will learn much faster, and enrich your experience for music.

If you are interested you can go to youtube and listen to one of my songs. I recorded this on the cheap with an old cheap guitar, and using my cell phone. I was just a whim, so I did it. So it is not that great.
Now I would post it here but the last time I did this the moderator removed it so I will just link it.

Wow your guitar and singing is quite good! Wish you were in Canada lol I probably would ask you for private lessons.

I might actually try to find an instructor to teach me rather than YouTube to speed up progress. I'm on lesson 2 from Marty's Music on YouTube and I'm starting to get frustrated trying to strum power chords. Especially with an electric guitar, it sounds like a mess when I attempt to do it. Even though my house mates haven't told me, I know they are getting tired of hearing my playing, because I AM tired of hearing myself too! I really want to start playing some music lol
I spent a lot on the Gibson SG and I can't even play it! Argh!

Utar
Learning to play guitar takes time, dedication, and patience with yourself. I have been playing for over forty years but I still remember learning back in high school.
Your fingers will get very sore for awhile and then build up calluses on the tips. But it does get easier over time, and worth the effort. Your room mates should be happy that you are not trying to learn to play drums..lol

BlackMolly99
Good for you! You sound like you have a lot of enthusiasm which is great if you want to learn to play any instrument!
If your just starting don't practice to long 10-15 min. a day. Just so you fingers don't get to sore. As they build up callouses you can start playing more and more.
It's really best just to learn simple songs to get familiar with the cords and notes before you start any more advanced songs.
The best way to go is to get a good, private teacher. Though of course if that doesn't work for you then yeah Youtube is good if you get the right channel.
Don't go to fast If you have to go over a lesson a few times before you really get it just do that. You really can't go to slow.
I've been playing acoustic guitar for 5 years so I'm no master, and I've never even tried electric. I hope this advice helps!

Utar
Here is a neat little trick for figuring out what chords go in the same key, which I call the 1, 4, 5 rule.
The letters A - B - C - D - E - F - G.
For example start with the letter G.
G (1), A (2), B (3), C (4), D (5). The chords and notes in the key of G (1) is C (4) and D (5). So C and D are in the key of G.

I got this years ago from what I consider to be the best Guitar Handbook ever written. THE GUITAR HANDBOOK By Ralph Denyer

BigManAquatics
I used to read Guitar World religously....and when Zakk Wylde had a column, i would wear out those pages because we had some serious pentatonic exercise dedication!

FitSoldier
Good for you! You sound like you have a lot of enthusiasm which is great if you want to learn to play any instrument!
If your just starting don't practice to long 10-15 min. a day. Just so you fingers don't get to sore. As they build up callouses you can start playing more and more.
It's really best just to learn simple songs to get familiar with the cords and notes before you start any more advanced songs.
The best way to go is to get a good, private teacher. Though of course if that doesn't work for you then yeah Youtube is good if you get the right channel.
Don't go to fast If you have to go over a lesson a few times before you really get it just do that. You really can't go to slow.
I've been playing acoustic guitar for 5 years so I'm no master, and I've never even tried electric. I hope this advice helps!

Thanks for the advice! Actually 10-15 minutes goes by pretty quickly for me. First day I got the Gibson, I practiced for almost 3 hours, took a break, then another hour. Since then, it's been 1 hour per day. Surprisingly I haven't had sore fingers really! I think from all the Judo/grappling training I've done, my skin is kind of conditioned now as I've had ripped skin and sore fingers from this training when I started.

I'm just doing basic chords and simple riffs right now from Marty's Music on YouTube.

FitSoldier
I can play the riff from AC/DC's TNT perfectly now by the way! That's all I essentially practiced for the last week lol

Can you guys take a look at this?

I really want to learn this song, but I'm just wondering if I'm getting too ahead of myself. The solo from that song I'm probably gonna leave out until the future (solo in that song is my end goal). But the main riff is it difficult to do? The finger placement feels extremely awkward to me. Are there exercises for me to do to have flexible hands/fingers like that?

fish 321
How many people on here play guitar? I know there are a few. I have playing for about 8 years now but only about a year on electric
20200331081136_IMG_7987 (1).jpg
20210123085920_IMG_1278.jpg

MacZ
I play guitar among other instruments, but wouldn't call myself a guitarist.
Multiinstrumentalist.

LeafY4life77
I mean like, I tried on bass once....

CTYankee79
How many people on here play guitar? I know there are a few. I have playing for about 8 years now but only about a year on electric View attachment 777804View attachment 777805
I don’t play much anymore, but I love your Gretsch! Beautiful guitar.
I sold my guild acoustic and a couple epiphones many years ago, I’m left with my Strat copy that I’ve had for almost 30 years...hopefully my kids will pick it up at some point! (And maybe I will too)

fish 321
I don’t play much anymore, but I love your Gretsch! Beautiful guitar.
I sold my guild acoustic and a couple epiphones many years ago, I’m left with my Strat copy that I’ve had for almost 30 years...hopefully my kids will pick it up at some point! (And maybe I will too)
Thanks its one of my favotires too I love the look of semi hollowbodys.
I play guitar among other instruments, but wouldn't call myself a guitarist.
Multiinstrumentalist.
I think eveyone says that.
I want to try bass but id rather buy another guitar than a bass.

AJE
Me too. Wasn't a fan but that might have been because it was over salted

MacZ
I think eveyone says that.

In my instrument rack I have a sitar (main instrument), a guitar-banjo, a set of medieval bagpipes (2nd to main) and an electric guitar. Next to those a full set of blues harps in all keys and a handful tin whistles. Also a keyboard I use as a synth. I also play bass, drums and a whole load of folk and historical instruments many people haven't even heard of. So... I'm not a guitarist.

BigManAquatics
In my instrument rack I have a sitar (main instrument), a guitar-banjo, a set of medieval bagpipes (2nd to main) and an electric guitar. Next to those a full set of blues harps in all keys and a handful tin whistles. Also a keyboard I use as a synth. I also play bass, drums and a whole load of folk and historical instruments many people haven't even heard of. So... I'm not a guitarist.
You're like the whole orchestra!

MacZ
You're like the whole orchestra!

If I could play all of them at the same time, yes.

fish 321
Me too. Wasn't a fan but that might have been because it was over salted
I hate it when they put too much salt on my bass.
Sheesh thats alot where do you put all of them? Btw bag pipes are my favorite instrument but they look so hard to play.

wishuponafish
I picked up classical guitar a few years ago and I've been in love with it ever since, I can't play steel strings though lol.

fish 321
I picked up classical guitar a few years ago and I've been in love with it ever since, I can't play steel strings though lol.
I never tried a classical guitar. When I first started finger picking the steel strings made it really painfull.

BigManAquatics
I never tried a classical guitar. When I first started finger picking the steel strings made it really painfull.
Thats what callouses are for!

MacZ
Sheesh thats alot where do you put all of them? Btw bag pipes are my favorite instrument but they look so hard to play.

We share some instruments at the rehearsal room. I play a lot but don't own all myself. I basically only own the ones I really like to play or think are necessary to have for experimentation.
There are about thirty different types of bagpipes all over Europe, North Africa and the Middle East and the Scottish Bagpipes have been adopted most widely in the rest of the world in the 19th Century.

fish 321
Thats what callouses are for!
For real! I stuck tape on the tips of my fingers my fingers hurt so much so I could keep playing. My tips of my fingers on my fret hand are like rocks.
We share some instruments at the rehearsal room. I play a lot but don't own all myself. I basically only own the ones I really like to play or think are necessary to have for experimentation.
There are about thirty different types of bagpipes all over Europe, North Africa and the Middle East and the Scottish Bagpipes have been adopted most widely in the rest of the world in the 19th Century.
When I was in middle school the school forced kids to be in chior or band so I chose to play the saxophone because the kids said it was the easiest and I got pretty good but I hated it, and as soon as I got out of middle school I never touched one again.

BigManAquatics
That used to be my fingers when i still played regularly. Whole hand was a callous: fingertips from guitar strings, rest of fingers and hands from bike handlebars.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
whiskeyhill
Replies
Views
diy guy
Replies
Views
APColorado
Replies
Views