Any Gouramis Other Then Bettas To Go With My Black Neon Tetras

ChuthuluFish

Hello! my tetras have been doing good since early August. And for good grades I get to pick out a new fish or 2 to add to the fishy family.

As above what goramI would work? well its a 20 gallon and I don't now if honeys are temp compatible. Its kept at 78 f.

Any suggestions. I will have lots of goramI choices as I'm go to 2 good LFS's.

All ideas/help welcome( :

nikm128

How many tetras do you have?

Weeb Snail

ChuthuluFish said:
Hello! my tetras have been doing good since early August. And for good grades I get to pick out a new fish or 2 to add to the fishy family.

As above what goramI would work? well its a 20 gallon and I don't now if honeys are temp compatible. Its kept at 78 f.

Any suggestions. I will have lots of goramI choices as I'm go to 2 good LFS's.

All ideas/help welcome( :
A good one would be a Honey Gourami. They're less aggressive than a lot of gourami.
I'd keep them in pairs, and they do need pellets and not flakes tho.

ChuthuluFish

I have seven black neon tetras all under 1 inch. Exept one whos1.5 inches.

Why do honeys need to be kept in pairs? Also do they need a male/female pair or can I just get 2 I like

nikm128

Most gouramis need to be kept singly or in m/f pairs to avoid aggression. I learned that the hard way

Nataku

Honey gouramI are quite social and do well in groups. They like to interact with their own kind. Same with sparkling gouramI if you wanted to try those (but they are about the same size as your tetras, they are tiny gouramis). If you only have 7 black neons in a 20 long you could do 4-6 honey gouramI in there. Or 10 sparkling gourami.

Sunset thicklip gouramis are a little bigger than honeys and would also do well as a pair.
If you wanted a single larger gouramI that could go by themselves in a 20 long I would do a single pearl gouramI or a single three spot gourami. Just bear in mind they get bigger than the aforementioned species.

Littlewoman01

I have three dwarf Gourami's (flame, powder blue, and a cobalt blue) in with cherry Barb's and guppies. I've been told several times that that would not work out. But mine have been together for months and have never been in a fight. There is a chance they could fight as with any fish but I think it just depends on the fishes personalitys.
Hope this helps!

BlasboBabbins

Honey, thicklip, and dwarf are all suitable. I have found dwarf gouramis to be not especially hardy but I have heard great things about honey gouramis. However, don’t try a gold, opaline, or blue (not powder blue) gourami, as these are all color morphs of the 3 spot, which grow larger and can be aggressive.

ChuthuluFish

I think from overwhelming response I will get honey gorami.

Thank you

Weeb Snail

ChuthuluFish said:
I have seven black neon tetras all under 1 inch. Exept one whos1.5 inches.

Why do honeys need to be kept in pairs? Also do they need a male/female pair or can I just get 2 I like
I prefer to keep them in pairs because they seem more lively and happier that way, but it isn't necessary. I'd get two of the same gender, to prevent breeding. IMO they're super peaceful and I doubt theyd attack anything. They're not like dwarf gouramis, and are really gentle!

ChuthuluFish

Thanks. ill have to do some research on how to tell there sex.

Islandvic

My only experience with gouramI are with Sunset Thick Lipped. I have 3 in my 75 gallon community tropical tank.

I have never seen them act aggressive toward the others.

Even when I drop sinking pellets or wafers, they will pick at them with the other fish, but they have never appeared "pushy" when feeding. They will try to hog the food, but they don't chase the other fish away.

I have seen them on many occasion go up to other fish, and attempt to touch them with their feelers, almost like they are saying hello.

They will sometimes chase each other around, but not often and not to a point where one of them gets stressed. Appears to be normal behaviour.

ChuthuluFish

Ok. Will have to look into sunset thick lipped gourami.

ChuthuluFish

I'm pretty sure I have enough input. I won't be adding to this thread any more.

Thank you for you're input everyone.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom