Any good websites for buying aquarium plants?

:) fatcatfish (:

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello I am looking to buy an Amazon sword plant to go in the centre of my tank as a specimen plant, I have read that they are relatively easy to care for and grow quite large which will suit my tank I think. I was just wondering whether there were any good (reliable) websites which I can buy one from (preferably UK websites). Any advice for sword plant care is also welcome.
Thank you

Aquasculpt

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Suprisingly you can find a good number of aquatic plants on Amazon, I would buy from aquatic arts (invert onsession) as after reading their mission statement they appear to be a company very concerned with the health of the things they sell. Plus even if you get a crummy product Amazon is normally pretty good about refunding your money.

OP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you Would it be worth investing in a mother plant?

Nickdrummer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Petsmart sells plants that come prepackaged, I don't know if any of them operate in the UK though...

OP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What other plants would be ideal with an Amazon sword plant? Would Hygrophila Corymbosa grow fast enough to get enough light?

wbudsanders

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe I just put some Hygro Cory in my tank last week.. (I say "I believe" because the guy at the LFS couldn't remember the exact name of the plant, plan to get it ID'd here later). I'm dosing Flourish once a week, and I have already seen quiet some growth out of it. Granted, not as much as my water sprite. But anyways.. just my opinion.

wbudsanders

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
By tablet, do you mean root tabs? Based on the plants (namely your Amazon Sword, seeing that you want it to be your focus), I would say tablet. The main reasoning behind this is Amazon Swords get are heavy root feeders, but also from the water column. So, I would say primarily go for tabs.

Through my research, there are many people who do DIY tablet fertilizers. I assume cost benefit is the primary reasoning. I'm not too familiar with how long tablets (again assuming root tablets) would last before requiring replacing.

I use liquid in mine, simply a mix of plant types, and easy to put the required amount in after each water change.

OP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I did mean root tabs So shall I go for a mix of root tabs and liquid?

wbudsanders

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unless you plan to heavily plant, I would suggest just the root tabs. Many people I have seen, don't even suggest using fertilizers unless running CO2 in the tank and being on the hi-tech side of things as far as planted tanks go.

Problem with running too many fertilizers, is if you don't have enough of a plant load in the tank, algae is the next one in line to start using the nutrients.

In my tank I currently have no C02, just my light schedule (6.5 hours) and liquid fertilizer. I have no issues with algae in my tank. So, my final opinion, try the tabs, if you notice a large increase in algae growth, perhaps reduce amount of tabs (I assume 1 tab per so many inches/centimeters) by doing half a tab for example, or try removing them completely.

wbudsanders

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe they would benefit more from a liquid fert than the tabs. That being said, since they are rooted into the substrate, I don't see why tabs would't add some benefit.

DanB80TTS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You would want root tabs with an Amazon sword, they are root feeders as previously mentioned.
I'm not sure exactly where you could buy them in the UK, I moved to the states before I really got into aquariums. You could check petsathome but they may be expensive.
Where I lived (Lancashire) we had several LFS, most were part of garden centres, so locate garden centres near you and check their websites, call or just visit them to see if they have aquatics.
Aquasculpt mentioned aquaticarts, they are based here in Indiana, I am almost 100% certain they don't ship internationally.
However they are a great business, a little more expensive in some respects but their customer support is the best I have experienced so I would recommend them for anybody in the US.

OP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I went to my LFS (after a kind lift from my neighbor) today because it was my birthday and bought an Amazon Sword Plant (Echinodorus Bleheri). I got home, removed it from the pot and undertook the painstaking task of removing all the growing medium, only to find out there were two plants! One is a lot smaller than the other, but the larger plant is already almost as tall as my aquarium! Thank you for all the help guys! I will be getting some more root tabs tomorrow hopefully

DanB80TTS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fatcatfish said:
I went to my LFS (after a kind lift from my neighbor) today because it was my birthday and bought an Amazon Sword Plant (Echinodorus Bleheri). I got home, removed it from the pot and undertook the painstaking task of removing all the growing medium, only to find out there were two plants! One is a lot smaller than the other, but the larger plant is already almost as tall as my aquarium! Thank you for all the help guys! I will be getting some more root tabs tomorrow hopefully
What lighting do you have? From my experience BleherI needs a bit more light than your regular Amazon sword.
I had one that wasn't doing well at all under low t8 lighting. Moved it to a tank with much better LED lighting and the leaves on it now are enormous, I mean 6-8 inch length and 3-4 inch width.

OP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 2 20W T8 bulbs. One replicates sunlight whilst the other is good for plants since it has peaks in the blue and orange/red. The tank is 18ins deep.

DanB80TTS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fatcatfish said:
I have 2 20W T8 bulbs. One replicates sunlight whilst the other is good for plants since it has peaks in the blue and orange/red. The tank is 18ins deep.
That sounds like it should do fine, good luck with it!

New Threads