Any Good? Top Fin Bacteria

Nasian

Reaction score
6A3E5A8E-20A3-45FC-BE63-D12A9CBD8897.jpeg
I heard you should never use bacteria supplements from Top Fin but they have a different product ( attached above ) I was wondering if it was any good for adding to new water for water changes.

Debbie1986

Valued Member
Reaction score
[... wondering if it was any good for adding to new water for water changes.
It's made for new tanks to instant cycle. It is likely too much product/wrong product for weekly water changes.

Are you looking for BB, to 'feed' the tank, or general water maintenance?

I think the key issue is: what is your goal?

if it's a new tank, go for it. but weekly water changes, it's not going to do what you will need.

Fljoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used that exact product 3 weeks ago in a new tank with fish. So far after daily testing I still have 0 nitrate and nitrite! Is it too late to add a different bacteria starter?
Sorry for asking a question on someone else’s post. Not sure if I should start a new Tipton the same topic?

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No
I used that exact product 3 weeks ago in a new tank with fish. So far after daily testing I still have 0 nitrate and nitrite! Is it too late to add a different bacteria starter?
Sorry for asking a question on someone else’s post. Not sure if I should start a new Tipton the same topic?
No, it is not too late to add somthing else. I recomende grocerystore shrimp in a nylon stocking over any so called bacteria in a bottle. Have can live bacteria survive on a shelf in a botle? Ammonia in a bottle can work though.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's all about how you read the text. This bottle doesn't say anything about starting the cycle.

Most sold bottles "starters" are heterotrophic bacteria in a dormant stage that don't start the cycle in which different (autotrophic) bacteria are involved.

The bacteria in this bottle munch on ammonia / nitrites and will keep the levels low that way for some time allowing the real ones to appear and grow. So they only "buy time".

They can be used in two occassions :
1 Knowing all above to "save" your fish during a fish-in cycle. It won't seed !!!
2 In an emergency (mini cycle or so) to keep the levels down again to "save" fish again.

Use in a cycle tank or to seed the tank is completely useless. The info on the bottle doesn't tell us either (smart marketing).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom