Any good sponge filters?

Hemikyle

Reaction score
hi guys, so I'm in the market for a sponge filter. I believe my cichlids are starting to breed, and im going to need a sponge filter for the fry since a HOB filter wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
I have these in 20 and 29gal shrimp tanks. (Says up to 50 but you know. Lol) Good size for lots of BB, plus has upgraded pipe to bottom with no extra air stone needed. Sinks immediately no risk of floating. And these are extra fine so no issues w fry. In pic you can see few day old shrimpleete on filter no issues.

Attachments

AquaKid

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd recommend the Aquarium Coop Sponge filters. The biggest advantage to them is that they don't clog up with fish waste too quickly compared to sponge filters with a high foam density.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
AquaKid said:
I'd recommend the Aquarium Coop Sponge filters. The biggest advantage to them is that they don't clog up with fish waste too quickly compared to sponge filters with a high foam density.
They don't clog up as easy but also I have found doesn't trap as much BB as the fine sponges. And with fry and shrimp you need that gunk for them to feed on.

I have 4 of the aquarium coop ones. For fish I love them. For shrimp or fry I would go fine sponge.

My 2 cents. Here is pic of aquarium coop one in blue velvet shrimp tank. Maybe you see one on it. With fine spine its packed w shrimp. Important to fry and shrimpletts

I love how aquarium coop are green. But also the aquarium coop needs a air stone added.

Attachments

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
AquaKid said:
That is give and take on sponge density. Less dense less maintenance and doesn't clog as easy but less BB. And lots of BB on fine but more maintenance.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I didn't even know they made less dense sponge filters! I don't even know what brand of sponge filters i have in my betta tanks, just that they are the dense ones and the bettas have no problems with them like they did the HOBs.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I didn't even know they made less dense sponge filters! I don't even know what brand of sponge filters i have in my betta tanks, just that they are the dense ones and the bettas have no problems with them like they did the HOBs.
Exact reason I like the coarse is for my betta. Low flow. Plus only 1 fish bio load and they don't pick at sponge anyways.

Each as it's own applications

Chalupacabra

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I have these in 20 and 29gal shrimp tanks. (Says up to 50 but you know. Lol) Good size for lots of BB, plus has upgraded pipe to bottom with no extra air stone needed. Sinks immediately no risk of floating. And these are extra fine so no issues w fry. In pic you can see few day old shrimpleete on filter no issues.
I use the Uxcell XY-380s (on Amazon) in all my tanks which I'm pretty sure are the same thing or, if not, are very similar. They're fantastic and very low maintenance. I still use a HOB filter as well, just on reduced current. I also use a pretty massive pre-filter sponge on that bad boy. For the Sponge Filters, I use Tetra Whisper 40 air pumps.

I'll be donating one of them along with my 20H aquarium and stand to the class this fall, so I'm going to try a much smaller filter in my 10 gallon, along with a smaller air pump. We'll see how it goes. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up trading it out for something bigger, but probably not the Uxcell...those things are monstrously huge for a 10 gallon.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom