Any good plants for a 30 gallon tank?

atmmachine816
anybody know any good plants for a 30 gallon tank that have fish in it and breeding angels besides amazon swords, and does anybody know if its normal for all the pet stores around me to have snails in ther plant tanks b/c I don't want to get baby snails on a live plant becouse they infest my tank ???

Gunnie
If you have basic lighting over your tank, then I would suggest some low light plants. Here's a great link on low light plants:

It is very common to have snails hitch hike on your plants when you buy them. You can soak your plants in a bleach bath before you put them in your tank to kill the snails and any eggs on the plants. I will have to get back to you on the bleach water ratio though, and how long to soak the plants.

atmmachine816
thnks I apreciate it my grandpa had 3 30 gallon tanks and I took one and my aunt took 2 but unfortunatly I had to take the one with snails so I had to get new everything and clean it real good b/c he got a amazon sword plant with snails on it and they took over I don't want that to happen again b/c I forot to get a new filter and they were in it and I had to kill them adn it was a huge pain. I know amazon sword plants are good and he had some other plants I think were called brown wendis or something like that I would like to get those but I'm not sure

Butterfly
Probably Bronze Wendtii, they are Cryptocornes popularly know as "Crypts"
They make very nice additions to your tank.
carol

atmmachine816
do u know wat the water and bleach ratio is b/c I would like to try that

I really don't want any more snails thnks

Butterfly
I believe the ratio is 19:1. 19 parts water: 1 bleach
Carol

atmmachine816
would any bleach work and how long would you have to soak it and would it kill any essential things on the plant

Gunnie
You don't soak them very long. I don't think I'd go longer than a minute. Your plants may look puny after doing this, but they should come back.

atmmachine816
I just soaked a crypt plant in a bleach and water bath for 30 secs and it looks fine ill tell u how it does later

theres a guy at my pet store that says clown loaches only grow about 4-5 inches and are great snail eaters wat do u know about that I thought they can get a little over a foot thnks

atmmachine816
I called up RMS a pet store by me that specializes in fish and they said that a bleach bath words long as the bleach ratio is extremely low b/c it will kill the plant

Dino
You want to use a bleach without any kinds of additives.
Generally this means find the cheapest bleach you can find.

I beg to differ on clown loach size, they get over a foot. As well, it is best not to buy fish to fix a temporary problem.
What do you do with the loaches once the snails are gone?

Dino

Butterfly
I beg to differ also my clowns grew to over 6 inches the first year I had them and the will eventually get to over a foot.
Carol

atmmachine816
well day 2 and the plant looks good and no snails long as this works I will slowly change my tank to heavily planted thnaks everybody

atmmachine816
sry I haven't been on between school and the computer screwing up I haven't been on but so far no snaials and the plant is doing great thnks for the help everybody anybody know anything bout java moss or xmas moss il probly get some of that soon

Butterfly
Glad the bath worked for teh snails I love my Java Moss but be fair warned it goes just everywhere. ;D
Carol

atmmachine816
that's ok that itl go everywhere I hav a lot of rocks and caves and they would look good with some green on thme and id like to get some easy plants right now since I'm kinda new at keeping plants and hopfully the bath worked b/c ther may not of even been snails on it I'm not sure but thnks and do u know anything bout aquatic flowers?

Butterfly
Its usually really hard to get aquatic plants to flower. When they do they tend to shoot their flowers above the water line. Check this out.

Carol

newbie101
does anyone know of any stores in US that sell live plants? I SOOOOOO want to get some but I don't know of any places that have them! does walmart have them? (they would only be a last resort...) anyone know if petsmart/petco has them? UG! I WANT SOME REAL PLANTS-THEY ARE SO PRETTY...

atmmachine816
petsmart might but I don't hav one near me but a RMS has them I don't hink any of those r by u and a city pet store is where I get mine uesed to be RMS the petsupermarket by me doesn't sell them and pet supplies plus by me I don't buy from b/c they don't take care of them wat petstores are by u??

Butterfly
Petsmart has live plants but you have to be careful because sometimes they sell plants that are not aquatic.
Once in a while off-ice atplant geek has some for sale.
Carol

joe
Petco also has them. I just bought 2 Amazon Swords from there.

newbie101
o ok thx all! I will try to convince my dad to take me to petco or petsmrat, they are both right next to each other practically but they are 35-40 mins away...my dad because he wants me to get real plants cuz theyre so cool, I told him theyre also good 4 the fish and tank...

atmmachine816
o well that sucks I hav one fish store mainly 1 mile from me that I can walk or ride bike to and another one less than a mile from that one and more within 20 min

atmmachine816
I might go and get another plant tomorrow anyboyd hav any ideas I might just get another crypt

Gunnie
Crypts are very good plants for your tank.  Do some research on , and see if your fish store can order you the plants you are interested in. 

atmmachine816
ya I did right now I would like to get java fern xmas moss brown wendtiI more crypts and some sort of plant that looks like grass with the long skinny leaves I like that stuff

chickadee

Oh goodness yes! I got rid of my Java Moss because I couldn't keep it contained and I am still (3 months later) finding strands of it on everything when I change water and clean the tank and vacuum the gravel. It is pretty but when the fish (especially those with long fins) swim past it, it goes EVERYWHERE.

Rose

atmmachine816
well I requested some xmas grass at my pet store not sure if thell get it though I hope so

chickadee
I got some plants called "Pellia" (they are beautiful) but they have no roots. They are heavier thaan water so they do sink, but I am wondering, How do I keep them from being swished around when the fish travel over them. They move very easily. I want to be able to use them somewhere in the aquarium but right now they are in a tank all by themselves besause they were so fragile when they got here (they came from Singapore).

I have been giving them Iron, Vitamins, and Plant Food to kind to hefty them up a little. (Red Sea)

Rose

atmmachine816
maybe u could tie them to something with fishing wire or something and I have ordered xmass mos and star grass anyboyd konw anything bout that besiedes wat iss on fishgeek or any tips b/c I'm hoping it will come it but not sure

newbie101
inow have som live plants, wisteria, hygrophilia, and anacharis, but now my fish are sick! (a topic in disease section) :'( I rinsed them off first in warm water...anyway I will post some pics when I get a sec!

bear with me, my space bar isn't working right. :-\

atmmachine816
maybe u shouldnt hav bouth so many at a time

Butterfly
Plants amke a tank more healthy for fish not less. sorry about your fish.
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies
Views
NY FishGuy87
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Top Bottom