Any Good? (canister Filter)

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had,a filter that looked not dissimilar . It was a Sun Sun. It leaked all over the place, no matter how much we tinkered with the O ring.

Chinese manufactured equipment is very hit or miss.

UV sterialization means the water is passed through a chamber that is exposed to ultraviolat light. It can kill many pathogens and other unwanted organisms in the water column like algae.

UV sterialization is a desireable feature.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanx alot. i know what you mean about china made items. but the filter plus 2 additional types of media (it also comes with some sponges and floss) is only going to cost me about $85! the reviews are 70-30 good/bad. i like the price, what do you think would be a better choice for close to the same price? sorry i dont know much about canisters, i use hob and was trying to make a diy one, but i like the idea of a canister. i am willing to take a risk here but if i knew what to looks for that might help me make a better choice.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
maggie thecat said:
I had,a filter that looked not dissimilar . It was a Sun Sun. It leaked all over the place, no matter how much we tinkered with the O ring.

Chinese manufactured equipment is very hit or miss.

UV sterialization means the water is passed through a chamber that is exposed to ultraviolat light. It can kill many pathogens and other unwanted organisms in the water column like algae.

UV sterialization is a desireable feature.
doesnt the sun aka uv cause algea in tanks? if so, how does it kill it in a canister? lol fish keeping....smh....

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sunlight is made up of light particles travelling at many wavelengths. Some of those encourage growth and some of them don't. Close exposure to UV kills.

I'm not a big fan of canister filters. I would look at something with a domestic label or the one that starts with E and sounds German, whose name is escaping me. There might be a higher initial outlay, but you will be less likely to be replacing it in 6 months time.

* Eheim is the brand I was thinking of, but couldn't recall.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just got my SunSun today, and it did feel cheap and worse, the parts did not fit over the tank rim! I returned it and ordered another Fluval - I have two and am very happy with them. You do get what you pay for.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom