Any Good 5 Gallon Starter Kits?

Sequoia

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Eventually I’m going to get a 5 gallon aquarium for a male betta fish that I’ll get once the tank’s cycled, are there any good 5 gallon starter kits?(preferably if a heater was in the kit.)

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on your price range and if you just want a standard aquarium or one of those fancy tanks.

OP
Sequoia

Sequoia

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DutchAquarium Thanks for the link! Is there 5 gallon that are under $30 and still good?

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
None that I know that don't come as a complete kit. Otherwise you can get a 5 gallon for $15 just as the tank

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually get the Petsmart 5.5g kit, I keep the filter and just baffle it. After that you really jsur have to pick up a heater.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's usually cheaper to assemble the entire tank yourself than get a kit.

Look into Craigslist. There are some very cheap prices for fish tanks there.

Kyleena696

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
-Sofia- said:
I got a top fin from Petsmart for $29.99 Canadian but I had to buy a heater
The 5.5 gallon one? I have the same one and the filter broke within a day. The lights that came with the kit also are not strong enough to keep any plants alive. I had to glue another LED strip onto the lid. I also don't like the lid, as you have to completely remove it, whereas the lids in the other kits I've gotten (Tetra 10 and Tetra 20) are hinged lids.
The tank itself is good though! But with everything else you need to buy with this kit, it's almost more worth it to just buy everything individually.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you are willing to spend more money though, a Fluval Spec V is m favorite 5 gallon kit.
You can't really buy other things and get a tank like it.

At my LFS, it's like $90.

-Sofia-

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kyleena696 said:
The 5.5 gallon one? I have the same one and the filter broke within a day. The lights that came with the kit also are not strong enough to keep any plants alive. I had to glue another LED strip onto the lid. I also don't like the lid, as you have to completely remove it, whereas the lids in the other kits I've gotten (Tetra 10 and Tetra 20) are hinged lids.
The tank itself is good though! But with everything else you need to buy with this kit, it's almost more worth it to just buy everything individually.
Oh! Mine has been fine for 9 months now with no issues, I use an another LED light though, the lid doesn't bother me at all either!

OP
Sequoia

Sequoia

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay! Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Is a 50 watt heater good for a 5 or 5.5g tank?

New Threads