Any Goldfish Breeding Tips?

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
EVERYTHING else in my ponds is reproducing at warp speed...except the goldfish. The largest is about 8 inches and smallest is about 2 inches. They haven't spawned at all, unless they ate the eggs when I wasn't looking? Biggie Smalls eats EVERYTHING...tsk tsk.
I watched youtube vids about using a breeding mop, which I haven't tried bc I wanted to "go natural". Others have had success in summer "tubs". What gives?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If Biggie Smalls has turned into Chub Rock then that is where your eggs are going ;)... All kidding aside i don't have goldfish but felt that was a proper response :) and you may need to do the breeder mop to help a few offspring get through the tiny stage and be able to swim wit the big fishes.

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EVERYTHING else in my ponds is reproducing at warp speed...except the goldfish. The largest is about 8 inches and smallest is about 2 inches. They haven't spawned at all, unless they ate the eggs when I wasn't looking? Biggie Smalls eats EVERYTHING...tsk tsk.
I watched youtube vids about using a breeding mop, which I haven't tried bc I wanted to "go natural". Others have had success in summer "tubs". What gives?
U DNT need spawning mop. U can use fine leaf plants it doesn't even have to be aquatic plants u can use terrestrial plant as long as it doesn't harm the fish. It's better if u have them in an aquarium where u can see what's taking place. Place them in the aquarium in the evening if they don't spawn the next morning, do a water change in the afternoon, the bigger the water change the better and I always use rain water. Keep doing the water changes in the afternoon until they spawn which won't be more than a couple days.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
DO I put all the goldfish in there? The reason I ask is that I really am not sure about sexing them. Thanks so much for your speedy reply!

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DO I put all the goldfish in there? The reason I ask is that I really am not sure about sexing them. Thanks so much for your speedy reply!
I normally put 2 males and a female especially if it's a large female.
Look on the gills carefully in the males you will see little pimples you can even catch them and look the pimples will be more outstanding when they're getting ready to spawn but if you are unsure. U can just put a few together but remember it's better to use fine leaf plants especially if you put a lot of fish in there as some will be eating while some are spawning.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have lots of hornwort in my tub pond, which grows to the surface and floats, and they lay eggs all over that but also on top of one of those (useless) floating solar pumps, that's actually how I know they've laid eggs. I have some fishing line tied to it and a rock to keep it in the center, so sometimes if I fill the pond a bit too much the edge of the floating part goes slightly under the water.. The pump barely pumps, only sporadically, so I'm not sure if the goldfish somehow splash the eggs onto it, or if they get pumped through, but the eggs are visible as little lumps on the flat surface so I notice when feeding them, and then go looking through the plants where most of the eggs are.

You have to take them out as soon as you see them or they'll get eaten, either remove some of the plants with eggs or pick the eggs off (float them in a little container in the pond / tank if you don't have something else set up yet (carefully empty and refill with pond / tank water daily to keep the water fresh until they hatch and then move them to a better set up or isolation net. You'll also have to keep a close eye out and remove any eggs that grow white fungus to stop it spreading to the other eggs).

I started a new 'pond' for mine which is just a basic storage tub with rocks and lots of plant cuttings from my main pond. I only have an airstone in there and they seem to be doing well, I've got 2 recent spawns in there now ;) You could also use a sponge filter if you've got them in a tank.

I think the main things are, A: make sure you've got both sexes, and B: keep looking for eggs if you've been seeing breeding behavior. Good luck :)

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. It's really frustrating seeing how everything else seems to proliferate wildly except them. I even bought more just in case I happened to have all of one sex. I have like 12 now and NONE of them seem interested in breeding. *shrugs

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the tips. It's really frustrating seeing how everything else seems to proliferate wildly except them. I even bought more just in case I happened to have all of one sex. I have like 12 now and NONE of them seem interested in breeding. *shrugs
It's highly possible they are breeding but eating all the eggs before you find any, the eggs can be hard to spot and generally even if they do hatch the baby goldfish will get eaten before they become visible in the pond, unless the pond is pretty large with lots of plants, rocks and hiding spots where a few can avoid getting eaten. Do you have a pump or filter in your pond? It's possible they might be getting sucked into that, they're literally about the same size or smaller than mosquito larvae when they hatch, you wouldn't see them in the filter media etc. I've never used pumps in my ponds as mine are only small and get water changes weekly, the floating solar pump I've got at the moment only works in full sun but the pond is under cover now, so it only occasionally splashes the tiniest bit of water and barely even works (not a proper pump, I was going to take it out until I started noticing the eggs on it). What else is in the pond?

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Took nearly everything out of the 110 gallon outdoor pond and moved them indoors bc it was cold. The goldfish are separated into two different enclosures. 5 of the largest are in a kiddie pool with just an occasional Penn Plaxx Smal World fish bowl filter and airstone. The 2nd one is on an HOB with sponge on intake.
I watched several videos today that said unlike other fish, goldfish must be at least 2-3 years old before they start breeding. I thought maybe it went by size bc Biggie Smalls is about 8 inches long even tough he's a common Comet. Tupac is slightly smaller at about 7 inches. I've tried to sex them, but they are much harder than livebearers.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Took nearly everything out of the 110 gallon outdoor pond and moved them indoors bc it was cold. The goldfish are separated into two different enclosures. 5 of the largest are in a kiddie pool with just an occasional Penn Plaxx Smal World fish bowl filter and airstone. The 2nd one is on an HOB with sponge on intake.
I watched several videos today that said unlike other fish, goldfish must be at least 2-3 years old before they start breeding. I thought maybe it went by size bc Biggie Smalls is about 8 inches long even tough he's a common Comet. Tupac is slightly smaller at about 7 inches. I've tried to sex them, but they are much harder than livebearers.
I think the cold weather might be the issue. They generally start breeding in warmer weather, spring, summer (not too sure where you live, I'm in Australia). Age is definitely not your problem, mine are only about 3 -4 inches (nothing bigger than that in my pond). I usually can't sex them until they start getting frisky (the males will have little white bumps on their gills when ready to breed and start chasing the females around). The eggs might be easier to spot too if your fish are bigger (I'm assuming bigger fish = bigger eggs). You could try larger water changes when the weather warms up, I've noticed mine get friskier with larger water changes ;) You could also try a heater if the weathers cold if you don't want to wait for warmer weather.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom