Any Fish Suggestions? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by happygolucky, Jul 29, 2015.

1. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I know the rule 1 inch of fish per gallon, and I've always wanted ALL guppies, due to them being "hardy" (the PetSmart ones beg to differ). Once my tank finishes cycling though, this time I want to try some variety. I saw a page on "The Aquarium Wiki" about mixing and matching fish in a ten gallon, and I think a honey gourami looks really cool. I was wondering if it is accurate that a honey gourami fits in a 10g, and what other fish could accompany it. I would also appreciate any info on what fish could help cycle a 10g, since zebra danio's apparently won't fit the tank size.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

4. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

I guess you haven't read my other post about my guppies....I bought them without any knowledge of cycling, and there are only 3 left out of the 7 purchased, the rest I am returning before they die. I though that since I've already added fish, I should probably continue with "fish in" cycle right? And thanks for the link.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Nope, you don't have to continue a fish-in cycle, and it'd be better not to. What are the tank's parameters?

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

According to that thread that was linked to, you could do six guppies, if you wanted to keep doing those. Word of warning though, make sure to get all one gender or else you'll end up with tons and tons of fry as these fish are livebearers.

7. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

Would they mate? I'm very scared of having a pair make little baby gouramis lol

8. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

The 1" per gallon rule is not a really true gauge of the amount of fish stock a tank will hold.
    A more accurate ( although not definitive ) gauge is to use the rule of 12 square inches of tank surface area to 1" ( nose to tail cleft ) of fully grown adult fish length.
    The amount of stock a tank will hold, is determined by the amount of water to air interaction, in order that life can be supported in the tank.
    My advice to you would be to research any fish you would like to stock the tank with, and then post on here again, asking for forum members comments / suggestions as per your choices.
    The replies you will receive, will then help you to determine the final stock for your tank,

9. OP
    OP
    happygolucky

I'll find out when I get my test kit in a few days (it's the API one everybody recommends).

Ok thanks, I'll most definitely post again with ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  10. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

She was talking about the Guppies you wanted. They are the live bearers and the ones you have to be careful about getting all males if you dont want fry CONSTANTLY. Gouramis are actually very hard to get to reproduce in community aquariums. However, I personally dont think any gourami should be in a 10 gallon tank. If you did it though, for sure only 1 of them.

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Small gouramis like licorice or sparkling gouramis are fine in a 10g.

12. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Licorice Gourami do best in species tanks with a pair. They also prefer slightly hard acidic water which can usually only be achieved with custom "made" water. They are best kept by experts specializing in the species and not your average community fish keeper.

Sparkling Gouramis are a little more forgiving with water chemistry. They will tolerate a higher pH and hardness levels that most of us have in our tap waters. However they are not recommended for community aquariums. They are easily intimidated by larger fish and will be out-competed for food by most fish. So they again will do better in species tanks, or with other small, shy fish.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Right. Also sparkling gouramis are social so groups of at least 5, which is the max amount I'd do in a 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice