any experiences with red belly pirahnas??? HELP PLZZZ

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
just ordered 12 red belly pirahnas..

have 55gallon tank...from my research, 55gallon will be enough for few years .

have two 20 filter and 1 40..

200Watt heater...and have few decorations for hiding spots..

I know they like it in about 78 temperature...

what else do I need??

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think 12 is quite a few in 55 gallons, even while they are young. What are the 20 and 40 filters, are they hang on back or what, what is their flow rate? They will need powerful filtration and lots of water changes. They also need a meaty diet and personally I would not use feeder fish due to health risks. For your tank I would recommend getting another like 150 watt heater just to heat more evenly, if you live in an area that doesn't get to cold you should be all right with one though. Also make sure you respect the piranha's power and bite. I would feed them about an hour before you stick your hands in the tank so that they are not hungry and decide to nibble your fingers! Most importantly have fun and good luck.
this info is not first hand, but I did do a lot of research on them and heard a lot from actual owners, because I was hoping to get some.

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks man...well I live in california and its mostly warm and I never had trouble with matching the heater..

and my 3 of my filters filter at double rate of what 55gallon should have..so which I know its fine...

so you think 12 1 inch red belly Pirahnas will be okay in my 55gallon tanks for a while???

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well they should be alright for now, just watch them as they grow to see if they start to become too cramped and then maybe look at a bigger tank. Do what you think needs to be done, if you think they are too cramped get a bigger tank otherwise just leave them. They do get around 12 inches at full size, but just see how it goes.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Actually, that's doubtful...they WILL grow much faster than you think. In an emergency, they could stay there, in the meantime, I think you should start setting up a 200 gallon tank for them when they grow up.

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree that the pirahnas will need a MUCH bigger tank. Even though they're small now, 12 pirahnas is too much for a 55 gallon and like Elodea said, they will grow faster than you might think.

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hrm...yea, eventually I will move them to a bigger tank..Just want to wait out to see how many survives...

and what kind of decorations would be good for them?...

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Update!!!..

so I changed few things in my tank for my piranhas ; )

got 300GPH ( ideal for 40 to 70 Gal tank ) Filter.. and still got 2 20 gallon filter

got 200 watt heater..( and it keeps the temperature at 80 pretty well, and from the research 80 is pretty good temp for them )

and have 9 piranhas doing so well!!..

I put shrimp on my hand and hold to it and they will come to it and eat on surface

glad to have these fishes..

I will post a picture soon

Thanks for all ya help!!!!

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just noticed that 6 of big piranhas won't even let the 2 small one go around the food..they will chase them away..

should I take the baby ones out to a bowl and feed, then put back?...But if I do so, will they eat in new environment ?...and would it stress them out ?

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have to agree on more filter power. I would remove the 2 20's and get another filter that you just bought the one with 300gph....that would be good then.

leeishom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just noticed that 6 of big piranhas won't even let the 2 small one go around the food..they will chase them away..

should I take the baby ones out to a bowl and feed, then put back?...But if I do so, will they eat in new environment ?...and would it stress them out ?
too much stress for an issue that needs to be repeated daily.

may be a divider?

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yea i am planning to get a emper400 or aquafresh110 ...

and just got another 40 gal tank today!...haha...this hobby is addictive ;p

was thinking of putting the 2 small ones in the 40gal once the cycle is done and ready to go, till they eat propertly and hopefully they will catch up on growing?

ps...only been 3 days since i had them 9 out of 14 survived...all were at 1 inch at max..

6 of em already at about 1.2 or 1.3 and 1 is fat 1 inch ( if u know what i mean ),

and 2 is the ones i am worried about, they still are at same size which I am not suprised

of, due to other big ones basically blocking them from eating....

either way, i am glad that i got another 40 gal for them 2 fishes..

any comments or advice according to what I have in my mind ???

crystalized

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
oh and my filters setup works perfect by the default tho...

water is crystal clear..yet i want more power , more filter, the better it gets

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom