Question Any experience with mixing sparkling gourami and german blue rams ?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I did a bit of searching on this one and i can't really find any info on if a pair of german blue rams will work with a school of sparkling gourami. Yes the rams will lay eggs and guard them but other than that they are pretty passive and the ones i have are pretty good about only guarding the area directly around the eggs (the previous pair i had guarded the entire tank) but undecided if this combo would work or not.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it can be done but be caustiose as the rams may attack the other in the tank

JasonOz

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only aggression a ram will usually show is a 'mock charge' really. I have rarely heard of rams causing any actual damage.

Cale24

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've kept an older pair of rams with 3 sparkling gouramis before, in a pretty heavily planted 15g. Was ok until the gouramis started breeding, and from there they became quite aggressive. Tables turned and they chased the rams if they came too close. When not breeding, things were more or less ok but I probably wouldn't do it again. I now keep the gouramis in a separate 10g.

OP
J

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cale24 do you think it might work with a larger tank such as a 29 or 40; or did the gouramis claim most of the tank as their territory ?

Cale24 said:
I've kept an older pair of rams with 3 sparkling gouramis before, in a pretty heavily planted 15g. Was ok until the gouramis started breeding, and from there they became quite aggressive. Tables turned and they chased the rams if they came too close. When not breeding, things were more or less ok but I probably wouldn't do it again. I now keep the gouramis in a separate 10g.

Cale24

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jake37 said:
Cale24 do you think it might work with a larger tank such as a 29 or 40; or did the gouramis claim most of the tank as their territory ?
It would probably be less of an issue in a bigger tank - the gouramis tend to stay in the same area, at least in my case.
How a group of them would work, harder to say. As I say I only have 3 (had 5 but two leapt to their death - something to be aware of if you have rimless tanks) I can only speak of my own setups.
They're cool fish though, interesting and nice looking, plus their clicking sounds are a laugh. They don't like high flow in a tank (neither do rams), another thing to consider, and plenty of plants and hiding spaces. They breed pretty easily if conditions are right too. Fry even smaller than ram babies.

New Threads