Any Experience With Maccullochi Rainbow?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JesseMoreira06, Aug 2, 2017.

1. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Hey, does anyone have any experience with Maccullochi Rainbow (Melanotaenia maccullochi) LFS just received 12 of them (they know to call me when they get something different), I've kept many different types of rainbows but never these , just wanted some reputable information on them.

Also does anyone know how to sex them at a young age?

I enjoy keeping many deferent fish , that I haven't previously, hence why I have 8 Tanks and 7 Betta 5g tanks.

Thanks In advance.

@NavigatorBlack @chromedome52 or Anybody else?

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I have bred the Skull Creek Maccullochi. I sexed them by fin colour at about 4-5cm. Nice nice fish.  

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

This used to be one of the more common species of Rainbowfish in the hobby. I've had a few, don't know about sexing them young, but they weren't too difficult to sex when mature. Just my regular water.

4. OP
    OP
    JesseMoreira06

Thanks a ton , Great read. They are really nice looking fish. I decided I'm going to get all 12 of them. They are small maybe 3cm at most. What's your thoughts on male to female ratio? The usual?

May I ask what did you feed yours personally? The ussual?

Great Thanks , they are new to me anyways hahaha, My LFS has never gotten them it's the first time, so they gave me a call. I enjoy keeping different species and seeing their behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  5. NavigatorBlack

Eventually, we have to meet. We're almost neighbours.

6. OP
    OP
    JesseMoreira06

Diffinetly agree!! I should come to one of the meetings , I always tell myself but life always gets in the way.

7. NavigatorBlack

A few years ago when I was breeding maccullochi, everyone in the club who wanted rainbows had them from me. I think the auction price for lots of 6 was about $5.

8. OP
    OP
    JesseMoreira06

Wow , I should diffinetly come to a meeting , I'm sure during auctions their must be the occasional odd ball of fish.

I paid 12.99$ for 3 of them..did I just get ripped off... cost me 50$ for 12 of them , I never pay tax their tho.

9. NavigatorBlack

Excellent price.

10. OP
    OP
    JesseMoreira06

Great to know , I didn't bother checking just bought them on impulse, it happens alot. Currently acclimating their temps to my tank.

Any experience with Iriatherina Werneri? LFS will be getting a shipment fairly soon of them for the first time as well, I was thinking maybe 12-15 of them for my 75g.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice