Any essenstial fish medicines?

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Hey Guys,
    I was ordering some supplies for my fish, and I was just wondering, are there any need to have medicines I should get them. I will be getting them some medicines because I figure it is always better to have the medicines so right as a problem shows itself, I can add them and take care of the fish rather than having to worry about not having the medicines.

I will currently be ordering.
    *melafix
    *super ich cure
    *pimafix
    *garlic boost plus (vitamins, boosts immune)

and not medicine related, but just incase I want to use it
    *fish net breeder

So is there anything else you guys think is essential?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Why do you need melafix and pimafix lying around?

Add some Vita-Chem to the list.
    It's a fishy vitamin :)

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I only keep stresscoat and melafix( what's left from the last time I used it, I like the stresscoat better for injuries) on hand most of the stronger meds are too expensive to risk them expiring before they may be needed, I don't use meds for ich(well I only had to treat for it once, so I didn't that time, the heat method worked). The only time I have had to buy real meds was last summer when we has a columaris out break, been lucky to not have much problems other than that.

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I prefer prevention to medication. The only time I've had to treat a tank for anything was when I had a case of cyanobacteria in a betta's tank.
    That said, I do have a bottle of Pimafix (okay... I don't right now, because my friend borrowed it) in case of infections that occur during times when the pet stores are closed.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

Well, I purchase most of my things online, as my pet stores around me aren't that well stocked besides the basic's and I'm still searching for a good lfs... thanks for all the advice guys.

6. fresh water Member Member

I order lots of Prime, when i see a good deal, they say it never goes bad

7. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Massive water changes are always the best cure for any fish ailment.

8. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

I personally don’t keep most medications on hand because they get old before you need them. I normally only keep a fungus medication around so that I can treat tanks with eggs in them for fungus as a precaution.

You are better off investing in products like vitamins, frozen foods, and good water conditioners like Prime or Amquel+. You will use these products more and unless you don’t have a local pet store some place fairly close medications are not normally needed.

The best medication you can invest in is proper and frequent tank maintenance. Frequent water changes and filter cleaning will help prevent most illnesses.