Any dwarf cichlids compatible with smaller loaches?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by LyndaB, Apr 6, 2010.

1. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I am doing research on restocking my 30 gallon. Sadly, I lost all of my fish to an incredibly potent case of ich. :'(

This weekend begins the hard-core scrubbing and cleaning and then I'll be doing a fishless cycle. I have existing media from another tank that I will bring over to jumpstart my cycle.

So, I'm not ready to purchase yet. Which is the best time to do research. You don't just buy the first pretty fish you see.

I have always admired cichlids and am interested in having some, most likely dwarfs, in my 30. But I don't know that much about them, i.e., do they need to be in pairs? Is one pair good for a 30? And so on.

I like the GBRs and the Bolivians. I had loaches previously and would love to restock with one of the smaller loach species.

Are there any smaller cichlids that are compatible with loaches?

Looking forward to receiving your input. :;thx

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Kuhlis would work very well. One dwarf cichlid pair is enough for a 30.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry you lost your fish. That must have been really frustrating. :(

There are lots of species of cichlids that are compatible with small loaches. GBRs or Bolivians would work, and so would Apistogramma species. Also, there are some smaller cichlids that don't quite qualify as dwarf cichlids, but have similar temperaments and stay small enough for a 30 gallon. Keyholes, laetacara curviceps, laetacara dorsigera would be some examples of those, but those are just off the top of my head and there are plenty of other species that would work. :)

4. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Thanks for your responses.

Kuhli loaches just won't do..... too wormy for me. :-X

I just went to 3 fish stores on the way home, just to see what's out there, and I did find the horseface loaches pretty interesting. Queer little fellows..... ;D

I'll look through the cichlids you mentioned and see what I find.... thanks!

Frustrating? Yeah, knowing you're doing everything in your power to help your fin kids and you still lost them all. Whatever the word is that's frustrating to the 10th degree, that's what I feel. And a whole lotta sad. :'(

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I was considdering horsefaces for my 90. Not to common around here.

6. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Apparently, you can only have 1 horseface. That's a true bummer. That rules them out for me, I think.

Well, this is exactly what research is for.

7. harpua2002

Sidthimunki (sp?) would be awesome if you can find any. They are tough to come by and pretty pricey if you do, but they are really cool and stay very small.

BTW- My Apistogramma atahualpa pair are currently raising fry, and I found eggs today from my Apistogramma agassizi "alenquer" pair. If you are not in a hurry to find dwarf cichlids, I may be able to help in a couple months. :)

8. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

I'm not in a hurry. I'd rather stock the tank correctly and with healthy fish than be in a rush and end up regretting something.

Do you have a picture? It's very generous of you to let me know about them. :)

9. harpua2002

Yes, I have some pics of the parents if you don't mind the thread hijack! ;)

atahualpa male
    213.jpg

atahualpa female with fry
    641.jpg

agassizi alenquer male
    862.jpg

I don't have a pic of the alenquer female yet, but I'm going to go out there and get one of her guarding her eggs. I just found them today and I'm excited! :)

10. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Those are absolutely beautiful fish!! :photo:

I'd be very happy to get a couple from you.

In a 30 gallon:

a) what could I have with them, or

b) how many of them could I have together? Are they a pair only type?

11. harpua2002

In a 30 gallon, you'll need to choose one species and stick with a pair of them. Or, you can grow out unsexed juvies until a pair forms and rehome the extra fish. When the fish mature, a pair will not tolerate the extra fish.

Either species can be kept with community fish like cories, small loaches, tetras, rasboras, etc. They like a lot of plant cover (real or artificial), driftwood, caves, etc. and the more hiding places they have, the more you'll see them. :)

12. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

I would definitely be happy with one pair of them, if that's what they require. Then I can still have loaches, which I love. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

I have driftwood, artificial plants and cichlid stones in this tank. And I'm going to put a sandier substrate in there when I rebuild it. Sounds like it would be perfect for them. I keep looking at the pics you posted. They really are beautiful.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice