OP
Desi

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kanzekatores said:
What breed is she?
My dog has a weird habit of sucking on his little blanket before he goes to bed. We think he was probably separated from his mother and littermates at too young an age, because it looks like he's nursing. Maybe having an object or toy that Lacy can grow close to will help her out.
I wish I could get her a stuffed buddy or toy, but she destroys them lol! My husky,Yukon, that I had growing up used to do that as a puppy, but he eventually grew out of it. I’ve never heard of an adult dog doing it though. Maybe it’s kind of like a kid sucking its thumb for comfort?

crystalmemphis

Reaction score
So I had experience with EXTREME separation anxiety with one of my dogs, Otto, who was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2018. He was my baby so we decided to not give up on him and we fought hard with him over the next year.

Otto was the epitome of a gentle giant and was the laziest dog you would ever meet. Unfortunately, dealing with his sickness and all of the medications he was taking led to some drastic changes in his behavior. Long story short, he attacked his brother leading to an ER visit at the animal hospital (His brother Ace is an 80 pound pit bull, they were attached at the hip before this), he ate our bedroom (literally... the walls, the door, the bedding) and all of a sudden had extreme separation anxiety and jealousy over me. Oh and did I mention he weighed 100 pounds and had this new found determination of an Olympic athlete when you tried to confine him to a kennel? Because he did! That was another behavioral change that came with the separation anxiety. He even snapped at my BF a couple of times if he got too close to me while Otto was laying on my lap. Completely not in character for this dog who I had for the past 6 years! It was shocking to say the least.

My vet tried to help and prescribed a few different medicines, Trazodone I know was one, but nothing ever worked. After a few significant incidents and thinking we would just have to give up because it was becoming harder and harder to control him, I had a friend recommend some things that had worked for her dog. She was facing some similar challenges and her veterinarian had suggested CBD oil. So we tried it and it seriously cured all of the aggression, separation anxiety and it seemed like we were able to have our sweet Otto back. He could even be in the same room with his brother without a muzzle again and it was like nothing ever happened.

As recommended, we invested in some very high quality, kind of pricey, broad spectrum CBD oil tincture. Not the CBD pet treats... I am talking about the stuff for adults suffering from severe pain or severe anxiety. It's completely safe for dogs, trust me, I put in some serious research hours! Also, her vet told her about it and my vet approved. The best brand I bought was Wild Hemp 1500 mg, the little bottle was $150 at our local head shop. But... IT WORKED!! Granted Otto was 100 pounds before getting really sick, so you could make that bottle last 10 times as long. The Wild Hemp is hard to find and they are almost always sold out on their website. CBDistillery is also a good brand that we used. The main thing is you want CBD oil tincture, NOT hemp seed oil. I would suggest 1,000 mg or higher. One serving is not 1,000 mg, that is the amount in the entire bottle, a serving is only one full dropper that is a 33 mg dose. You won't have to use an entire serving either! I would start with only 2 maybe 3 drops since your dog is smaller. You can always go up on the drops if it doesn't calm her anxiety. For reference, we gave Otto 12-18 drops each dose, with multiple doses per day. You can give it to her in her food or in a treat, it's an oil you administer from a dropper so you can add it on anything. Also, Kongs stuffed with healthy goodies and then frozen will keep her occupied and the CBD oil will keep her anxiety down while your away.

We also just went through a teething phase with our new puppy and used the same CBD oil with him. What a difference it makes with a teething puppy, highly recommend for that as well! The puppy was on a smaller dose, 3-4 drops and he would stop trying to eat your arm off. He would also sleep through the night without whimpering and wanting to eat anything he could get in his mouth.

Here's a link to the Wild Hemp, it's a great product so normally sold out and hard to find.

Here's a link to the CBDistillery for the 1000 mg, it worked just as well for us and is cheaper.

If you have any local head shops or vape stores near you, you can always check what they carry. Just make sure it's CBD tincture, around 1,000 mg, and not hemp seed oil. We also used some labeled full spectrum and it works the same as broad spectrum. Really the only difference in the various spectrum is more for people who have to take drug tests, as full spectrum can give a false positive for THC.

Just to note, I am not a CBD connoisseur by any means! I knew nothing about any of this until it was recommended to me for my dog. So when I say I researched it, trust me! I was putting all of my energy and lots of money into keeping my dog alive and happy as long as I possibly could. The last thing I was going to do was start dosing him with some random oil from a head shop without knowing it was completely safe.

Attached is a picture of sweet Otto before he got sick. We finally lost the fight with him at the end of October 2019. When he was first diagnosed they said he probably wouldn't make it to Christmas of 2018, he saw that Christmas and almost made it to Christmas the following year.

image0 (3).jpeg

12Cin12

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
crystalmemphis said:
So I had experience with EXTREME separation anxiety with one of my dogs, Otto, who was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2018. He was my baby so we decided to not give up on him and we fought hard with him over the next year.

Otto was the epitome of a gentle giant and was the laziest dog you would ever meet. Unfortunately, dealing with his sickness and all of the medications he was taking led to some drastic changes in his behavior. Long story short, he attacked his brother leading to an ER visit at the animal hospital (His brother Ace is an 80 pound pit bull, they were attached at the hip before this), he ate our bedroom (literally... the walls, the door, the bedding) and all of a sudden had extreme separation anxiety and jealousy over me. Oh and did I mention he weighed 100 pounds and had this new found determination of an Olympic athlete when you tried to confine him to a kennel? Because he did! That was another behavioral change that came with the separation anxiety. He even snapped at my BF a couple of times if he got too close to me while Otto was laying on my lap. Completely not in character for this dog who I had for the past 6 years! It was shocking to say the least.

My vet tried to help and prescribed a few different medicines, Trazodone I know was one, but nothing ever worked. After a few significant incidents and thinking we would just have to give up because it was becoming harder and harder to control him, I had a friend recommend some things that had worked for her dog. She was facing some similar challenges and her veterinarian had suggested CBD oil. So we tried it and it seriously cured all of the aggression, separation anxiety and it seemed like we were able to have our sweet Otto back. He could even be in the same room with his brother without a muzzle again and it was like nothing ever happened.

As recommended, we invested in some very high quality, kind of pricey, broad spectrum CBD oil tincture. Not the CBD pet treats... I am talking about the stuff for adults suffering from severe pain or severe anxiety. It's completely safe for dogs, trust me, I put in some serious research hours! Also, her vet told her about it and my vet approved. The best brand I bought was Wild Hemp 1500 mg, the little bottle was $150 at our local head shop. But... IT WORKED!! Granted Otto was 100 pounds before getting really sick, so you could make that bottle last 10 times as long. The Wild Hemp is hard to find and they are almost always sold out on their website. CBDistillery is also a good brand that we used. The main thing is you want CBD oil tincture, NOT hemp seed oil. I would suggest 1,000 mg or higher. One serving is not 1,000 mg, that is the amount in the entire bottle, a serving is only one full dropper that is a 33 mg dose. You won't have to use an entire serving either! I would start with only 2 maybe 3 drops since your dog is smaller. You can always go up on the drops if it doesn't calm her anxiety. For reference, we gave Otto 12-18 drops each dose, with multiple doses per day. You can give it to her in her food or in a treat, it's an oil you administer from a dropper so you can add it on anything. Also, Kongs stuffed with healthy goodies and then frozen will keep her occupied and the CBD oil will keep her anxiety down while your away.

We also just went through a teething phase with our new puppy and used the same CBD oil with him. What a difference it makes with a teething puppy, highly recommend for that as well! The puppy was on a smaller dose, 3-4 drops and he would stop trying to eat your arm off. He would also sleep through the night without whimpering and wanting to eat anything he could get in his mouth.

Here's a link to the Wild Hemp, it's a great product so normally sold out and hard to find.

Here's a link to the CBDistillery for the 1000 mg, it worked just as well for us and is cheaper.

If you have any local head shops or vape stores near you, you can always check what they carry. Just make sure it's CBD tincture, around 1,000 mg, and not hemp seed oil. We also used some labeled full spectrum and it works the same as broad spectrum. Really the only difference in the various spectrum is more for people who have to take drug tests, as full spectrum can give a false positive for THC.

Just to note, I am not a CBD connoisseur by any means! I knew nothing about any of this until it was recommended to me for my dog. So when I say I researched it, trust me! I was putting all of my energy and lots of money into keeping my dog alive and happy as long as I possibly could. The last thing I was going to do was start dosing him with some random oil from a head shop without knowing it was completely safe.

Attached is a picture of sweet Otto before he got sick. We finally lost the fight with him at the end of October 2019. When he was first diagnosed they said he probably wouldn't make it to Christmas of 2018, he saw that Christmas and almost made it to Christmas the following year.

image0 (3).jpeg
Not OP, but I wanted to Thank you for this story about your sweet Otto - I'm sure you've helped a lot of people with this post.

crystalmemphis

Reaction score
12Cin12 said:
Not OP, but I wanted to Thank you for this story about your sweet Otto - I'm sure you've helped a lot of people with this post.
Aww, thank you! He was a good boy and would love to know his experience has helped another fur baby somewhere. I am merely the messenger who was lucky enough to have the experience with him.

OP
Desi

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
crystalmemphis said:

image0 (3).jpeg
Wow! Thank you for all that great info! I’ve never heard of CBD tincture before? That sounds like a miracle for you and your dog. I’m happy your dog got so much relief. I’m going to look into it as soon as I’m done typing this. :)

crystalmemphis

Reaction score
Desi said:
Wow! Thank you for all that great info! I’ve never heard of CBD tincture before? That sounds like a miracle for you and your dog. I’m happy your dog got so much relief. I’m going to look into it as soon as I’m done typing this. :)
You're so welcome, happy to help! I hope it helps your pup as much as it helped mine. Hopefully one day CBD used with dogs will become more widely known and more research will be conducted on the benefits. I truly believe in it after our experiences.

Let me know how it goes and good luck!

New Threads