• Glofish Sharks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know I posted something similar earlier, but now that I'm about to order my fish I want another final opinion before it's too late. I have purchased a 30 gallon breeder for my DG (So PLEASE don't tell me to give him away) and I want a community tank. He's lived with 5 red wag plays before, and he's been great. Sadly, they passed and so... Any problems with this plan for my 30G? I have not added him yet so he doesn't get to mark his territory.

1 Dwarf Gourami
1x Bolivian Rams
8x Otocinclus
1x Bristle Nose Pleco
3x Mystery Snails (Currently own 3, might get a fourth)
_x Trumpet Snails (If possible)
5x ___ Corycatfish (School #1)
5x ___ Corycatfish (School #2)
6-7x Zebra Danio (Considering to replace with neon tetras, worried about fin nipping though.)
6x Glofish (Tetras)
77 DEGREES

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would lower the tank temperature to about 74, all your fish would do better at that temp. I would also skip the corys since you have otos, a pleco, and a ram which are all bottom dwelling.
Other than that, it looks good!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
74 is going to be too cold for the rams, gourami and tetras. Only the danios are looking at 74 as being ideal. I would get rid of the danios and otocinclus since these are the only two species on here that like the colder temps and therefore aren't compatible with everything else.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
while 74 degrees could be handled, this would be like a cold day for us where it isn't ideal. even though the bolivian is a colder ram species, minimum should be 78.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I won't take any offense and i understand their are differnt views of things. If you look at the fishs actual range, your temps might be listed and they won't be harmed if this happens everyonce in a while. However, Since i have bred and kept bolivians, as the temps lower, the color isn't as vivid and the fish shows signs of distress. This is also noticalbe in tetras and gourami, but not as signifigant. Rams and apistos are a bit more sensitive to temps.

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would lower the tank temperature to about 74, all your fish would do better at that temp. I would also skip the corys since you have otos, a pleco, and a ram which are all bottom dwelling.
Other than that, it looks good!
Interesting, would there be some sort of conflict between the cories and the others? Is there a way I could try and keep both? Maybe if I only get one school of coriess instead of two?

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
74 is going to be too cold for the rams, gourami and tetras. Only the danios are looking at 74 as being ideal. I would get rid of the danios and otocinclus since these are the only two species on here that like the colder temps and therefore aren't compatible with everything else.
The oto temperature is okay, (72-82) but yes, I'm concerned with the danios. Do you think I could get away with neon tetras or a couple mollies instead?

shutterbug13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Interesting, would there be some sort of conflict between the cories and the others? Is there a way I could try and keep both? Maybe if I only get one school of coriess instead of two?
It's just that they both occupy the same area and it can get crowded. I would stick to just the otos for now at least.
The oto temperature is okay, (72-82) but yes, I'm concerned with the danios. Do you think I could get away with neon tetras or a couple mollies instead?
Neon tetras have similar temperature requirements as zebra danios. Cherry barbs or lemon tetras would work.
I won't take any offense and i understand their are differnt views of things. If you look at the fishs actual range, your temps might be listed and they won't be harmed if this happens everyonce in a while. However, Since i have bred and kept bolivians, as the temps lower, the color isn't as vivid and the fish shows signs of distress. This is also noticalbe in tetras and gourami, but not as signifigant. Rams and apistos are a bit more sensitive to temps.
Interesting, thanks!

iDon'tCare

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's just that they both occupy the same area and it can get crowded. I would stick to just the otos for now at least.

Neon tetras have similar temperature requirements as zebra danios. Cherry barbs or lemon tetras would work.

Interesting, thanks!
Thank you! But aren't neon tetra temperatures 75-78? If not, then that's fine. I can find a fish similar to cherry barbs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom