any coldwater websites

richard7467

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hiya all been looking around the web and I can not find any web sites that are anywhere near as good as FishLore that show and advise on fresh coldwater fish such as black moors and the like. Fishlore is an excellent site but there are no profiles for fresh coldwater fish. I am currently keeping tropicals and will continue I am now considering a coldwater tank any websites you know of that show detailed profiles of fresh coldwater fish? thanks for any help you can offer

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
great suggestion richard!! Maybe adding a coldwater section would be something fishlore can do?

alot of people here have great advice on all fish , so im sure asking ?'s will perk them right up ;D

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The goldfish section on this site. There isn't really many detailed profiles of coldwater fish - as most are actually Goldfish. See you on the Goldfish board!

How's your tank dong BTW?

richard7467

Valued Member
Reaction score
long time no see... yep with your advice its doing really well...put a pair of platys in but that turned out to be a mistake, an explosion of little platies oh well should have known better! returned them and their fry to the lsf, my Dwarf Gouramis have bred the nest is now suspended in the the main take in a large net feeding them fry food, see how they get along. So by and large everything has come together thanks for asking even my Mrs is expecting a baby now!!!!!!

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
long time no see... yep with your advice its doing really well...put a pair of platys in but that turned out to be a mistake, an explosion of little platies oh well should have known better! returned them and their fry to the lsf, my Dwarf Gouramis have bred the nest is now suspended in the the main take in a large net feeding them fry food, see how they get along. So by and large everything has come together thanks for asking even my Mrs is expecting a baby now!!!!!!
Wow! I've got DG's up to spawning stage, but no further because I didn't want to cross to 2 varietys, (I had a male regular and 2 feamle cobalt blues) it's fascinating isn't it!

richard7467

Valued Member
Reaction score
yep mine never stop but rearing the fry is a different matter. Ive tried the spawning tank then transfering the fry to the main and visa versa but they dont last that long, having said that if i'd left the fry in the spawning tank they'd probably have been ok! so im going to try it in the main tank with the nest guarded by my large net so as not to disturb them...feeding them liquifry number 1 at the moment then number two in a a week then when they get to day 10 i'll start feeding them baby brine shrimp heres a couple of websites i stumbled across that give some good tips that you may be interested at looking and http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2002/breeder.htm

richard7467

Valued Member
Reaction score
i've lost one female because my male gets really aggressive and protective during spawning and he caused her some damage which never healed dispite isolating her and trying to nurse her sadly she died from her injuries(i guess)
Would there be a problem if you crossed the two varieties?

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i've lost one female because my male gets really aggressive and protective during spawning and he caused her some damage which never healed dispite isolating her and trying to nurse her sadly she died from her injuries(i guess)
Would there be a problem if you crossed the two varieties?
Well, I can't label them for the LFS to take in if they are a cross between varietys When was the last time you saw 'Mixed dwarf gouramis'?

What is your stock again? It's been a while...

richard7467

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol 3 DG 1 male 2 female 8 cardinals 4 albino corys 1 bristle nose and a clown loach yep I have pushed it a bit with the stocking but at the everything seems fine if its unsustainable i'll reduce but its been like that for 2 months and they all seem happy as larry.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol 3 DG 1 male 2 female 8 cardinals 4 albino corys 1 bristle nose and a clown loach yep I have pushed it a bit with the stocking but at the everything seems fine if its unsustainable i'll reduce but its been like that for 2 months and they all seem happy as larry.
Clown loach will get much bigger (12") and is social, so it would be a very good plan to find him good home (perhaps your best LFS) whilst he's still small. (Re homing a large fish can be difficult if you are not willing to invest in a large tank!)

It acctualy sounds like a very sound stock if you discount the Loach! Neat one. I love Albino corys, they are so active and cute!

richard7467

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah i see what your saying i may get a larger tank theres still sime his only 2 inch long and i agree my albinos have been good value for there money always busy doing something

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah i see what your saying i may get a larger tank theres still sime his only 2 inch long and i agree my albinos have been good value for there money always busy doing something
It needs to be at least 75gal and the loach count would have to be upped to 3, presuming you transferred the whole stock to the 75gal and upped the loaches to 3 you'd only have space for 1 small school.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom