Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Any Chemists On Here? Effects Of Lead Weights In Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Laxin10, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Laxin10Valued MemberMember

My Jungle Val is finally starting to thrive and reproduce, and I would like to move it to the bottom of the tanks (on top of the gravel) with weights. They are currently tied to my decorations with fishing line, but I would like to let the new plants attach their roots to the gravel. The only plant anchors I can find on amazon are lead weights, and they openly claim to resist rust and won't decay. They have great reviews but I am hesitant to trust them.

Here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LQLLGF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BR4UBNZAPNG1&psc=1

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys/gals

2. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

They're a Magnesium-Zinc Alloy. They do not dissolve to my knowledge.

Some older ones are lead, but lead is insoluble in water due to it precipitating out in a number of forms (carbonates being the most common). It also does accumulate like some other metals.

3. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

i don't think lead rusts, but might leach out (lead poisoning with old lead pipes). we use lead weights for fishing, mainly saltwater, never seen them rust.

4. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Technically rust only occurs with iron... so no, lead wont rust! ;) Lead however will oxidize (which is exactly what rusting is, oxidization of iron).

As for it being safe or not, Im not 100% sure...

5. Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

I dont beleive the new weights or even fishing weights are trully lead anymore but as @AquaticJ says because of their hazard to the environment. As far as I know, even lead buckshot has been banned because of its effects on wildlife.

6. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The only thing that still has lead in it is batteries. That's why your not supposed to just throw them out. Plant an core as well as fishing weights are no longer lead. Unless you make your own.

7. wodesorelWell Known MemberMember

There are not a lot of heavy metals out there that stay moldable, so the strips for aquarium plants can still be lead. It's not being used directly on humans or for food, so the rules are a little different. Same as with Christmas lights, they can still have lead!

If it doesn't say "non-toxic" or " lead-free", or if the package says to wash hands after handling, then be cautious.

8. anirocWell Known MemberMember

I don't know what those "weights" are made up from but I don't trust everything I buy from fish store. If they are lead, there is a good chance of lead contamination and slowly poisoning of our fish (especially is the water is on the acidic side).
    I killed half of my guppies when I introduced an "aquarium safe" plastic plant into their tank.

9. Laxin10Valued MemberMember

So most likely they are just using the term lead for conventional purposes? I feel weary of putting any metal in the tank at all lol.

10. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

I'm an avid fisherman, many fishing weights are still made of lead. They do make some with brass, tungsten or steel. I also own firearms, most ammo are still made with lead. The government has banned using lead shots (shotguns) for waterfowl hunting. Waterfowl load is usually steel, bismuth, or tungsten. But the majority of shotgun ammo (target loads, defensive loads, etc) are still made with lead, birdshot, buckshot, and slugs.

I noticed your location shows CA, they may not sell any lead fishing weights or lead ammuntion there.

11. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I agree lead weights are still used in fishing, especially for saltwater fishing. Tungsten and brass are mostly used in freshwater fishing. I personally wouldn't put lead in an aquarium considering the fact that after a day's fishing, my fingers are stained with lead. I don't how harmful it would be in an enclosed environment like an aquarium, but knowing what I know, I just don't feel comfortable about that stuff dissolving in the water.

12. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

If you are at all concerned, I say don't use it. You could try to find a rock to tie it to and bury the rock but if the rock has calcium in it it will raise the pH. I've had 4 planted tanks and I've never used weights before. I actually had thought they were just to keep them together for the seller and was returning them then I saw a basket of them at the store and they were selling them for $.25 each.