Help Any Brine Shrimp Experts? Need Scientific Answer.

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all, I'm about to get all scientific here.
I am working on a brine shrimp colony, with the intent of basically keeping them like sea monkeys and feeding adults occasionally to my goldfish for a treat and 'snacktivity.'

Of course, I've been getting a lot of conflicting information about brine shrimp, as most of them are simply hatched and fed as nutritious naupliI or bought frozen because it is muuuuch easier. If I find info about raising adults it tends to be on an industrial scale, or 'until they die' in a tiny container.

The brine shrimp I am hatching came in a cheapo microscope kit with no accessories so I've been winging it. My first attempt crashed and I'm trying again. It is highly likely that the brine shrimp I have are Artemia franciscana, the American Brine Shrimp. Sea monkeys are (supposedly) a different hybrid named Artemia NYOS, which are purportedly larger and more hardy. (some scientific communities refuse to even acknowledge the speciation designation, so I got a lot of conflicting information).

I gathered that brine shrimp are indiscriminate obligate filter feeders, and do not forage for food, which means their food source must be suspended at all times in the water column so they can eat it. HOWEVER, I also know that Sea Monkeys will in fact, forage at the bottom for food and even use their feathery feet to stir up the bottom for things to eat. (I've watched them do it myself!) Sea monkeys will also eat algae that grows on surfaces of their tanks.

So, do brine shrimp and sea monkeys actually, in fact, have different feeding habits? Will I be able to keep A. franciscana in a container with sand substrate and a gentle bubbler, instead of the 'industrial style' roiling cloudy soup that brine shrimp usually get raised in?

Also, if A. franciscana and A. NYOS have actually different feeding habits, I have no idea why anybody would argue that they are the same creature, it's one of the basic ways you use to distinguish two similiar-looking species -_-

Igor95

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not sure about the species difference, but I've raised a brine shrimp colony in a 5 gallon with a heater/airline tube. Had different stages of development in there, and fed them spirulina powder. Did 25% water changes every few days and fed my main tank with the bigger ones. Over time the tank started to stink up the house, (think salty egg smell), and I fed the rest to my tank and scrapped the tank. It's a PITA imo, just buy frozen.

OP
TheeLadyG

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Igor95 said:
Not sure about the species difference, but I've raised a brine shrimp colony in a 5 gallon with a heater/airline tube. Had different stages of development in there, and fed them spirulina powder. Did 25% water changes every few days and fed my main tank with the bigger ones. Over time the tank started to stink up the house, (think salty egg smell), and I fed the rest to my tank and scrapped the tank. It's a PITA imo, just buy frozen.
Thanks for the info! these are for pets as much as food

OP
TheeLadyG

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's really incredible all the conflicting and plain confused/wrong/mixed up information there is regarding brine shrimp out there. There are loads of texts about how to hatch and feed them out, and loads of information about how to do scientific experiments on them, but almost nothing about how to keep them happy and healthy in a 'pet' type situation. From other fishkeepers I get "dude buy them frozen they are soooo hard to deal with" but I am not looking to just make them for food, haha... I think they're so beautiful and they have amazing fun behaviors to watch. Well, sometimes when you can't find something the way you want it you just gotta do it yourself I guess!

New Threads