any bettas that have horizontal lines just naturally

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by jerilovesfrogs, Apr 9, 2010.

1. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

hey fura, or anyone, are there ever any bettas that have those horizontal lines just naturally? i saw some and someone said they're just like that. they were female btw. seems odd.....but i dunno. :;dk

2. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi Kate, I moved your question out of Furallicah's thread.
    When you have a separate question, it's best to start your own thread rather than take the other off topic, thereby hi-jacking it.

I'm pretty sure wild types naturally have horizontal lines. It's rare you'd find these in pet stores.
    In the pictures I've seen, they're usually a brownish color with short fins.

3. uprightandlockedWell Known MemberMember

I've often wondered the same thing. My girl Kiwi has never gotten rid of a solid line that goes across her whole body. I'd hope after the length of time we've been together she isn't constantly stressed. They aren't vertical bars, just a horizontal line from head to tail. And she's had it since day 1 I bought her.

4. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Lol Lucy it was fine but this is better to get noticed. To give my IMO Marbles can be this way. Some marbling I've seen on bettas has been from dots to lines. But usually marbling will change or go away over time. Other then that I'm not sure....someone else might have a better insight then me.

5. FlyfrodValued MemberMember

My Veiltail female has had a horizonal line that runs through her. She's had it since i've had her. Not the best pic but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

6. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I would say that is marbleing. I'll post a picture of scropio when he is stressed next time I do a water change and give you an idea of what I mean though I'm sure MM, Critter or Whisper could post one before me lol

7. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

oops, haha, sorry lucy, furallicah, didn't mean to hijack. yeah fura, that'd be good to post a pic of him stressed.....

the two fish i saw with them were in a sorority tank....it wasn't really that full and the others didn't have them. so i asked the guy about stress lines. claims they were just like that.

fly: your female looks like the ones i saw! so it's "normal"?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  8. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I dunno. :;dk
    Imo, she looks like one stressed betta.

9. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

My Betta's don't have lines like that....I do however see a lot of this lol

Attached Files:

10. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

I don't think that the wild type betta spelenden females have permanent stress lines... They are rather dull brown with the typical short fins but the only "line" would be where the iridescent dots that go down their sides. I have a couple of females who stress easily but the lines still weren't permanent.

*Remember that this link is refering to the wild type betta splenden which has a different personality and behaviour then the pet betta's that we have today.

11. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Thanks Red, I was thinking of B. imbellis. Here's a link to a pretty gal I pictured in my head when I posted. lol

12. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

No worries Lucy :p

13. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I agree the lines horizontally, shouldnt be there on the gals/boys we buy in pet stores, unless something is stressing them

MM your girls I think are born with those lines LOL !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice