Any Betta Experts Know What Type My Boy Is?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FloydtheBetta, Apr 20, 2019.

1. FloydtheBettaValued MemberMember

Not 100% sure what type of Betta I have. He was sold as a butterfly Betta but I can’t find much about them online and to me he looks like a doubletail halfmoon.

Just thought it would be fun to see if you guys have any ideas.

Attached Files:

2. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

I’m not an expert but from what I understand butterfly means super delta. And yours does look like a super delta :) he may be a half moon but I know he’s not a double tail.

3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Seems delta, I think butterfly is the pattern, also seems to be a partially formed double tail with that odd crimping? How unusual, I guess your boy doesn't fit well into any category!

4. FloydtheBettaValued MemberMember

That makes sense! I’ve seen somewhere butterfly refers to the color pattern being a different color around the rim (in his case red). And he’s definitely got a little bit of a partially formed double tail, as his tail appears almost halfmoon but comes in a bit at the middle without completely splitting into two.

I guess I just have a unique little guy. <3

5. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

I don't understand where you get this information from. Butterfly is a more common term for a type of colouration, not tail type.
    He is a doubletail betta. You can tell because of the shortened body length, longer anal/dorsal fin, and you can kind of see the two lobes of the caudal fin. If you can see him flare you can tell if he's a doubletail halfmoon or delta.

6. FloydtheBettaValued MemberMember

He loves to flare at the filter so I see him do a few minutes of flaring usually 2-3 times a day when he decides to be playful. What signs should I be looking for?

I’ll try to get a pic of him doing it if possible.

Thanks for the info! It seems you’re definitely onto it.

7. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

A halfmoon would have the caudal fin spread at 180 degrees, sightly less than that and he'd be a super delta. If the tail lobes are only partially split then he wouldn't be considered an ideal doubletail, but he still is one. It would just be his unique quirk.

8. FloydtheBettaValued MemberMember

Aww poor Floyd, he’s ideal to me! :p

Just caught him flaring at the filter and managed to get some pics. He seems like 180 degrees to me but not sure!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  9. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I don’t know but I think @Fanatic will

10. midnaWell Known MemberMember

i agree with a doubletail. he has a short body and there's definitely a split in his tail but it's very subtle. he sort of fits the butterfly pattern; he probably had more white around the edges when he was younger. as they get older they typically lose the characteristic butterfly pattern and colour completely takes over their fins. i've seen a lot of similar-looking bettas at petco; here's one i saw today. he doesn't have as large a tail as yours but he has very long dorsal and analfins.

20190420_200002.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  11. FloydtheBettaValued MemberMember

Nice to know! I was thinking butterfly meant they had a strip of color around their body, but didn’t know it was supposed to be white!

Starting to think the consensus is he is a doubletail just partially formed!

12. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Agree with everyone else, a double tail... if you want to go into specifics, some label with as a Short bodied doubletail....