Any Beatles fan here?

PPK9110
I hadn't been on for awhile, been busy working two jobs. It was taking all of my time, I couldn't do anything it was driving me crazy, so I recently laid one dow. It feels good to relax a little bit, have sometime for myself to do the things I used to do. I saved up some money for a new computer, but my mom convienced my step dad to let me have this computer. So i'm moving the cmoputer into my room after I reinstall it, since my parents lost the windows xp CD, I have to buy a new one. They sell them $200 at Best Buy, and the installation fee is $120 (something that is easy to do). I went home and got on Ebay, bought the exact samething, brand new for only $94. So now i'm waiting for UPS to come...when you're waiting for something to arrived they seem to take forever.
anyways,
If you're a true Beatles fan then you mostly likely know about the musical movie "Across the Universe." My friends and I drove all the way to Hollywood to see it before everyone else, because that was the only place that's playing at the time. I thought it was a great movie, anybody else that had seen the movie, and have any thoughts about the movie to share with us?

capekate
HI PPK...
well without aging myself... ahem... I grew up in the Beatles era and remember seeing them on the Ed Sullivan show on their first US tour!! ( ok I was just a preteen then lol)
I grew up listening to every 'new' hit they came out with!!
Yes, I am a Beatle fan... and it brings back many happy memories of the times in the life of the Beatles. I have many original albums of theirs still.
ok.. Ive really aged myself now but ahhh what wonderful memories!

~ kate

jsalemi
Haven't dated yourself too much -- I watched them on Ed Sullivan too. And over the years took part in many a 'who's better -- The Beatles or The Beach Boys' debate.

(I'm a Beach Boys partisan, myself, but I love The Beatles too. Finally got too see McCartney on his last tour, and it was a blast!)

Gamer
Yes, I love the Beatles music, and although they were before my time I have collected most of their stuff on CD and have some of their songs on mp3. I haven't seen the movie though, so I guess I wouldn't be considered a diehard fan but I do love their songs.

Bonochick
The only Beatles album I have is Sgt. Pepper. I love that album, but I never really checked them out much further.

I've gotta see Across The Universe, even if just to see Bono in it.

Gwenz
I don't really know many beatles song. Yellow Submarine is a great one tho!, + Yesterday rings a bell. But i'm in the county orchestra here, and we're doing a beatles medley. It sounds really good with the drums and everything in it.

Gwenz

gremlin
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need

Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.

Say you don't need no diamond rings,
And I'll be satisfied,
Tell me that you want the kind of things,
That money just can't buy,
I don't care to much for money.
Money can't buy me love.
Can't buy me love, ev'rybody tells me so,
Can't buy me love, no, no, no, no.

He's a real Nowhere Man,
Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
Making all his Nowhere plans for nobody.

And of course, there's always -

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus's garden in the shade,
He'd let us in, knows where we've been, in his octopus's garden in the shade.
I'd ask my friends to come and see an octopus's garden with me.
I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus's garden in the shade.
We would be warm below the storm in our little hide-a-way beneath the waves.
Resting our head on the sea bed in an octopus's garden near a cave.
We would sing and dance around because we know we can't be found.
I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus's garden in the shade.
We would shout and swim about the coral that lies beneath the waves.
Oh what joy for every girl and boy knowing they're happy and they're safe.
We would be so happy, you and me, no-one there to tell us what to do,
I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus's garden with you

Yeah, I think I like the beatles...

Richard
Can't begin to tell you how many times 'The Fool On The Hill' resonates with me on a daily basis!.. I feel their music from '68 onwards, inclusive of solo stuff they did after breaking up.

gammerus
I am a pretty big beatles fan myself, and while I haven't seen Across the Universe just yet, I plan on watching it the moment I have some extra cash. I'm only 20, but their music transcends generations.

PPK9110
they're great band with great musicians. I feel pretty sorry about the ones who truely believe that the beatles is the devil's music/band.

also, I just got back from seeing saw IV, its pretty good. I thought Saw III was going to end the whole thing, but I guess I was wrong.

armadillo
I totally love them. And am the world's pickiest music listener. I loooooove 'I want you - she's so heavy'. I think it's one of my favorite Beatles song. Oh, and of course 'And I love her', and 'Can't buy me love' and 'Come together' and I love nearly all tracks on the 'Let it be' album. Oh, and I forget: 'Eleanor Rigby'. What a tune!

jsalemi
"In My Life" was one of our wedding songs when we got married way back when.

armadillo
Aaaaaaw. Cute.

MagpieTear
Eleanor Rigby FTW

armadillo
What's FTW?

MagpieTear
For The Win ;D

armadillo
ha haaaa! Yeah, Eleanor Rigby is totally one of my favorites. I hate St Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, though. And Yellow Submarine. Basically, I don't really like their druggy, psychedelic years. Come to think of it, wasn't the song Eleanor Rigby from then too?

jsalemi
Eleanor Rigby was from 'Revolver', which was around that time (it was the album before Sgt. Pepper's). Hindsight is funny -- when Sgt. Pepper's came out it was a complete revolution in how rock albums were made, and usually competes with The Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds' for either the top album of all time, or the most influential album of all time. They were both astonishing albums in their day ('66 - 67), representing complete breaks from the single-driven albums that came out before them (i.e., the record companies tossing out albums with one or two hits and the rest filler every 6 months or so). And they shared the common idea that the bands themselves produced the albums, rather than some record co. flack assigned to the job.

That whole period from around '64 - 68 was amazing in how much rock music grew and changed. Some of it may have been drug-fueled, but most of it was just shear raw talent finally coming to the fore and breaking out from the restrictive music scene that existed up until that time.

PPK9110
in the movie accross the universe, there is a version of "I want to hold your hand"
my friend jason and I want to cover that song, we figure out the bass lines and guitar chords, when we record it maybe I can put it up here.

armadillo
How interesting, thanks Joe.

Oh I don't mind the fact that it was drug-fuelled (I mean am not questionning the quality of an album, or the merit of the artist, because of it), but I didn't remember the exact years, so I figured that should place it more clearly (the drug-fuelled years).

But yeah, I basically don't like these two albums so much, aside from the odd song. Too experimental for me.

Eleanor Rigby was from 'Revolver', which was around that time (it was the album before Sgt. Pepper's). Hindsight is funny -- when Sgt. Pepper's came out it was a complete revolution in how rock albums were made, and usually competes with The Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds' for either the top album of all time, or the most influential album of all time. They were both astonishing albums in their day ('66 - 67), representing complete breaks from the single-driven albums that came out before them (i.e., the record companies tossing out albums with one or two hits and the rest filler every 6 months or so). And they shared the common idea that the bands themselves produced the albums, rather than some record co. flack assigned to the job.

That whole period from around '64 - 68 was amazing in how much rock music grew and changed. Some of it may have been drug-fueled, but most of it was just shear raw talent finally coming to the fore and breaking out from the restrictive music scene that existed up until that time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Isabella
Replies
Views
_Fried_Bettas_
Replies
Views
LiterallyHydro
  • LagerthaM
  • Snails