Any aquarium safe glazes/sealants?

Noroomforshoe

if you just used colored sculpy, and no paint, you would be set to go.
There is dishwasher safe mod podge now, I dont know if it would seal up your project to make it aquarium safe, but It might be worth looking into.
There is folk art dishwasher safe enamal paint, this might be safe for aquariums, but once again research please!
If you can fire the paint in a kiln, it should be safe. I made a hollow log with clay at a busy bee craft store like 4 years ago, and painted it and they fired it. and it has been in my tank since then.

Cowardlyslimeball

Noroomforshoe said:
if you just used colored sculpy, and no paint, you would be set to go.
There is dishwasher safe mod podge now, I dont know if it would seal up your project to make it aquarium safe, but It might be worth looking into.
There is folk art dishwasher safe enamal paint, this might be safe for aquariums, but once again research please!
If you can fire the paint in a kiln, it should be safe. I made a hollow log with clay at a busy bee craft store like 4 years ago, and painted it and they fired it. and it has been in my tank since then.
Thanks, do you know how the firing works? Would it damage the clay, because I will be working on this for hours, and I would hate for it to get ruined!! So if I made it with grey clay, painted it, and brought it to my local pottery shop, and they fired it for me, that would work, right? Thanks!

Noroomforshoe

Sculpy, Primo, and Fimo - The most popular polymer clays, are fired in any home oven at 275 degrees for 15 minutes. The clay is not aquarium or water safe until it is properly cured. , Put the project on foil or parchment paper on a baking sheet, preheat the oven! After baking Let it cool before touching it. because it will be fragile until it cools. You can go a little long, say 20 minutes, if your object is more then an inch thick, but You dont want to over bake, overbaking can make the clay brittle.
If you were going to ask a store to fire some kind of actual pottery clay, you would have to ask them what kind of clay to use. because they would have different temperature needs. When I did it at Busy Bees, the store has there own specific clay, and they give you a certain amount to work with. And they know what temperature it needs.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom