Any answers please, anubias stems rotting

Wayne73
Hi everyone. I've a 2 week old still cycling 55gallon aquarium.Inhert sand substrate two large pieces of bog wood,some dragon stone, cycling is going as planned.Live plants are crypts in sand with root tabs.Java fern an various anubias all attached to rock and the wood.Everything is growing great.roots are reaching out and holding as they should even new growth.But problem I'm getting is my anubias plants(not all of them).The stems are rotting away from the rhizomes on old growth and new growth.Ive no discoloration on any of the leaves which come away from the rhizome. I'm using a fluval aquasky light.7 hrs of light.Ive no algae. Feed is tnc complete liquid only once a week 10ml.liquid co2 5ml every 2 days. Tank temperature 25c. Trawled the internet and books but answers to what causes it.best bet is melt back of some sorts?Has anyone experienced this please help.Oh an it's a fishless cycle I'm doing.picture added.

Mudminnow
If the rhizome is melting, the plant is dying. I would cut off the melted bits and try to save what's left of the rhizome. Why this is happening, I'm not 100% sure. Anubias are usually pretty tough. But, I would guess it has something to do with the stress of transitioning into the new tank and going through the tank's cycling process. While many folks cycle their tanks with plants in them, I've found this still stresses the plants. When I cycle my tanks before I add any plants, my plants melt far less and adapt faster. So, perhaps this might be at least part of what's going on.

Wayne73
Mudminnow said:
If the rhizome is melting, the plant is dying. I would cut off the melted bits and try to save what's left of the rhizome. Why this is happening, I'm not 100% sure. Anubias are usually pretty tough. But, I would guess it has something to do with the stress of transitioning into the new tank and going through the tank's cycling process. While many folks cycle their tanks with plants in them, I've found this still stresses the plants. When I cycle my tanks before I add any plants, my plants melt far less and adapt faster. So, perhaps this might be at least part of what's going on.
Ok thanks for your reply,I've removed the rotting stems.i might yet remove the rhizomes completely. I can replace these plants once the tank has finished cycling. Just seems odd that the new grow has also been rotting away too.but thanks again.

Nianichole
How did you attach them?

I'm definitely not an expert, but I was watching YouTube videos about attaching rhizome plants to hard scape and it was mentioned that if you use super glue, be sure you are only using the glue on the roots and not the rhizome. They said it could suffocate the plant and/or inhibit growth. Not sure if it's true, but maybe helpful?

Wayne73
Nianichole said:
How did you attach them?

I'm definitely not an expert, but I was watching YouTube videos about attaching rhizome plants to hard scape and it was mentioned that if you use super glue, be sure you are only using the glue on the roots and not the rhizome. They said it could suffocate the plant and/or inhibit growth. Not sure if it's true, but maybe
Leeman75 said:
I think that you're getting some good advice above from Mudminnow. I had some problems with my Anubias and it was suggested to me to do the same. Here's a link to that in case it helps you like it did me. Anubias Barteri - What do I do with this plant? | Aquarium Plants Forum | 494495

Good luck!!
Hi again.i checked out your link.thanks for taking the time.But from the pictures in the link it doesn't resemble what's happening to my anubias.I'll keep a close eye on what's going on.if I can I'll try to save the rhizomes.an thanks again for taking the time to reply.

GuppyGal7
Just remember, it's pretty common for a random beginner plant to not do well no matter how hard you try. I guarantee everyone here has one beginner plant they cannot for the life of them keep alive. Don't be discouraged. If a certain plant isn't working out, try a different one. Java fern is very similar, maybe you'll have better luck with it. This is of course only if your Anubias does die. Hopefully it won't, but if it does, there's always another plant you can try.

Wayne73
GuppyGal7 said:
Just remember, it's pretty common for a random beginner plant to not do well no matter how hard you try. I guarantee everyone here has one beginner plant they cannot for the life of them keep alive. Don't be discouraged. If a certain plant isn't working out, try a different one. Java fern is very similar, maybe you'll have better luck with it. This is of course only if your Anubias does die. Hopefully it won't, but if it does, there's always another plant you can try.
Thanks
GuppyGal7 said:
Thanks guppygal7. I expected to lose some plants but it wont discourage me not in the slightest.I do have java fern a various crypt's in the tank they're all doing good.thanks for your reply.

JettsPapa
Nianichole said:
How did you attach them?

I'm definitely not an expert, but I was watching YouTube videos about attaching rhizome plants to hard scape and it was mentioned that if you use super glue, be sure you are only using the glue on the roots and not the rhizome. They said it could suffocate the plant and/or inhibit growth. Not sure if it's true, but maybe helpful?
I'm also definitely not an expert, but I've never had any problems attaching anubias to wood using super glue on the rhizome.

Nianichole
JettsPapa said:
I'm also definitely not an expert, but I've never had any problems attaching anubias to wood using super glue on the rhizome.
Must be an internet tall tale then I hope the rest of your plants thrive for you!

Mhamilton0911
When I got several anubias varieties from the tubes at petco, 2 of them melted at the rhizome just like your describing. I lost those plants. The rest did fine and are still growing, almost a year later. I suspect in my case it was the fact they were grown emersed, so there was some acclimation to submerged and some just didn't make it.

Wayne73
Mhamilton0911 said:
When I got several anubias varieties from the tubes at petco, 2 of them melted at the rhizome just like your describing. I lost those plants. The rest did fine and are still growing, almost a year later. I suspect in my case it was the fact they were grown emersed, so there was some acclimation to submerged and some just didn't make it.
I shall keep an eye on them but I'm not holding my breath for the anubias which has all ready lost its stems and leaves.

Latest threads

Top Bottom