Any amount of normal fighting among these types of cichlids?

plievestro
I have been keeping various tropical fish in several tanks for a year and a half now, and felt a bit more confident. I snagged a beautiful 4 inch Jack Dempsey a couple months ago and kept him in just a 10 gallon for a bit until I got my 75. He was very happy when I moved him to the big one, and with the help of the local mom and pop pet store I picked out a pink convict and a green severum. Both are about 2.5 inches. Hard to find those types of cichlids at the size to match jack dempsey, so I approached with caution. Everybody gets along with the occasional chase, but surprisingly my jack dempsey isn't the problem, the pink convict seems to dislike my green severum. I added them both in with Jack Dempsey at the same time, there is plenty of space, I have 3 caves for hideaways. Green severum has some nipped tail fins, and I frequently see him avoiding the convict, but when they end up too close the convict gives chase until he decides the severum is far enough away. He doesn't try to kill him, seems more of a territorial issue but happens all over the tank. They have been together now about 2 weeks maybe, I was waiting to see if they would establish their own spaces. Is there any amount of normal fighting amoung these types of cichlids? Also, just added a 6 inch clown knife and 3.5 inch firemouth who are adapting well into the tank. Just a mean little convict I think!

tyguy7760
Convicts are notoriously territorial. however, I think your issue is you are overstocked. Right now while they are juveniles there is plenty of room, but that severum will eventually outgrow that tank and is really a placid fish in comparison to the JD and the convict. Severum's should be the only fish in a 75 and really need a 90 as they will grow very large. I think the JD and the convict would be fine together. The firemouth may be fine as well but really I think the JD and the convict should be the only cichlids in the tank. Just my opinion though. Other's will more than likely have differing ones.

plievestro
That had been the hardest part of fishkeeping. An inch per gallon. Then you can get on aqadvisor website and it will give you something else. I have been to every fish store here and in a 45 min radius. All different pretty much. I know that I am done stocking this tank for sure. I'm just wondering if the convict is too aggressive for them all to be happy. I was thinking about putting him in my extra 10 or 20 gallon that are empty that I keep running for quarantine/extra

Mbuna
The cichlids might work things out. A 75 is OK for a green sev, but a longer tank would be better with the other fish you have.You may also try adding some dithers to to spread the aggression out. But re-homing might be your only option. The clown knife will grow to 3 feet and it not at all suitable in a 75 gallon.

Peacefantasy
The inch per gallon rule is outdated an inaccurate. You have to consider biolaod, territory, and compatibility.
I see the problem getting much worse as the fish mature.
I agree with Ty

plievestro
Yes I also read that clown knife fish get to be 3 feet long in the wild...on the Internet...realistically I have been told by several fish stores and 10-20 inches is more realistic in the aquarium. I do believe I am going to rehome the pink convict as he is fairly more aggressive than the others. JD, severum, firemouth should be fine with the clown for quite a while.

As far as bioload I check twice weekly my levels and I have no spikes of ammonia nitrate or nitrite. PH right around 7.5

The cichlids might work things out. A 75 is OK for a green sev, but a longer tank would be better with the other fish you have.You may also try adding some dithers to to spread the aggression out. But re-homing might be your only option. The clown knife will grow to 3 feet and it not at all suitable in a 75 gallon.

Any recommendations on good dither?

Caleb12345
You should have a nitrate reading. If you don't have any nitrate whatsoever, the tank isn't cycled. If you use the liquid API kit the nitrate test is not hard to mess up.

plievestro
You should have a nitrate reading. If you don't have any nitrate whatsoever, the tank isn't cycled. If you use the liquid API kit the nitrate test is not hard to mess up.

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. I do have a nitrate reading no SPIKE...it is around 40. I do have the API master test kit

Caleb12345
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. I do have a nitrate reading no SPIKE...it is around 40. I do have the API master test kit

Okay that's better.

But I think you should reflect here. 40ppm is considered the highest level that is safe for fish. Any higher it starts hurting them.

These fish are small and you are already getting nitrates this high in like a week?

plievestro
Maybe. I will double check it when I get home, I might be thinking of something else. But either way...I pay attention and if it does get high I do know to do extra water changes and will rehome appropriately, I'm no monster.

Caleb12345
Oh no I'm not calling you a monster in any way(I have seen a few with a BUNCH more than this in a 75 gallon though )

I think it's how much effort you want to put into it to keep water quality high. Many cichlids are prone to HITH which is caused by... You guessed it.. Water quality.

It may also be easier to sell the fish you have while they are small as the bigger they get, often times it makes them harder to find a new home for (common plecos are a great example!).

plievestro
All I want is an awesome aquarium with happy fish. It took me a while to get on these forums bc I see that some people are crazy judgemental. I will admit the clown was a bit of a rash decision. Every fish I have put in all my aquariums I have done plenty of research first to make sure they are appropriate...I drove 45 minutes north to a big fish store with wider selection, with the intention of firemouth and/or green terror and left with a firemouth and a clown knife. Unplanned. Not as smart as I should have been.

Caleb12345
Hehe don't we all want that awesome aquarium :lol:

What I would suggest now is have your backup plan. Don't wait till they start getting big and you have to change the water 3-4x a week.

Have it prearranged for the LFS to take them or start saving for that larger tank.

I know I've done it before... Grew out a female JD to 6.5 inches and had no tank to upgrade her into. Had to give her to the LFS because I had nowhere to put her.

Plan early and save yourself some headaches

plievestro
I love them all. JD isn't going anywhere cause he is a boss. Probably knife fish and mean convict should be rehomed though...
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1455467556.881644.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1455467584.118193.jpg

Mbuna
Yes I also read that clown knife fish get to be 3 feet long in the wild...on the Internet...realistically I have been told by several fish stores and 10-20 inches is more realistic in the aquarium. I do believe I am going to rehome the pink convict as he is fairly more aggressive than the others. JD, severum, firemouth should be fine with the clown for quite a while.

As far as bioload I check twice weekly my levels and I have no spikes of ammonia nitrate or nitrite. PH right around 7.5

Any recommendations on good dither?
Clown knifes grow to 3 feet whether in the wild or in an aquarium. The only difference is if in an aquarium, you need enough room for them to grow, or they will die prematurely. That is the fish you really need to re-home asap. A 75 is not suitable for a clown knife.

You could try tiger barbs, black ruby barbs, Columbia tetra, giant danio could all work as dithers.

Caleb12345
He's a stunner!

IMO an adult JD can be kept alone(if it came down to it) in a 75 gallon with no issues and weekly water changes.

plievestro
Clown knifes grow to 3 feet whether in the wild or in an aquarium. The only difference is if in an aquarium, you need enough room for them to grow, or they will die prematurely. That is the fish you really need to re-home asap. A 75 is not suitable for a clown knife.

You could try tiger barbs, black ruby barbs, Columbia tetra, giant danio could all work as dithers.

I'm a little bummed...the girl at the store knew exactly what I had and sold it to me. I hadn't gone to that one before, I think I'll be driving back up there. I was naive and trusting and didn't do my research like I should have. Thank you

tyguy7760
I think the best thing to do would be to rehome the severum. It really needs a larger tank anyways. If you rehome the convict you'll still need to eventually rehome the severum or prepare for a bigger tank because as it matures I'm not sure a JD will tolerate a severum in a 75

plievestro
Thank you everybody for your help and advice!!

tyguy7760
No prob. Keep us updated how it goes

plievestro
I'm very sad. I left for work at about 5am, an emergency at work. All was well when I left. Came home about 7pm and the knife fish was dead on the bottom. The others surrounding it sort of. Pleco was out too (even during light). Part of his side had seemed to have been fed on. I feel awful. I had not noticed any aggression and watched the tank intently Saturday and yesterday. It was time to check my levels anyways...pH about 7.4, ammonia about 0.5, nitrite 0.25, nitrate 20. Seems about okay from what I've experienced with new aquariums. I've started 4 aquariums in the last year. All of the other fish have been fine, not stressed. Tank has been going just over 3 weeks now maybe? I use stress zyme weekly and do my weekly water changes. Water crystal clear, filter running fine. I don't get it

plievestro
I was going to do my weekly water change tonight anyways, just did. Vacuumed and such. Used the double dose of stress coat as directed since poor little green severum has nipped fins and my pleco fins are almost healed....he had been in my 36 gallon for a year. I got him as a conditional part of a FREE 36 gallon Aqueon bowfront setup with everything. He is about 6 inches now. Was maybe 4 when I got him? I moved him to the 75 gallon so he had more space.

JKCichlids
Very nice tank u have there and I love Plecos. This is my Pleco

Same kinda situation happened to me with my tiger Oscar. It was in the tank for a good while. He was healthy and happy, but then one morning I looked at him and he was torn up and beaten. Hours later he died. Barely ever saw any of the other cichlids bother him when he was healthy

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Braydenmm22
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
btate617
Replies
Views