30 Gallon Tank Any African Cichlids(preferably Malawi) that goes together with Platies.

man5onite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it possible to have any African cichlids in a 30 gallon tank together with 5 platies.
If it is, which ones?
If not, any other cichlids?
I am cycling right now with platies, and I haven't performed any watertesting yet.
The temp is 24celsius.

Thanks in advance,
Lars Olav

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would definitely not recommend Malawi's! Especially in a 30g. Maybe GBR's or Blood red parrots(I think those are the passive but wait for other responses to be sure). Both of which I am not 100% on. Angels maybe?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Man and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I suggest that African Cichlids be a species only tank. I'm afraid your Platy's would not survive very long with African's as tank mates.

I wish I had better news for you

Ken

My largest Bloody Parrot is 9x6.5 inches. The Bloody Parrots are a more docile species, a hybrid species, cichlid. They cannot protect themselves as other fish can due to the deformity of their mouth. They can't bite.
Ken

Last edited:

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea GBR's are definitely cool looking, and for the parrots yes they can get quite big I believe...maybe not for your 30

man5onite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good morning Man and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I suggest that African Cichlids be a species only tank. I'm afraid your Platy's would not survive very long with African's as tank mates.

I wish I had better news for you

Ken

My largest Bloody Parrot is 9x6.5 inches. The Bloody Parrots are a more docile species, a hybrid species, cichlid. They cannot protect themselves as other fish can due to the deformity of their mouth. They can't bite.
Ken
Thanks, I think I'll feel at home here

I appreciate the honest answer, and I will heed your warning.
I am not sure if I want a fish that is bred to deformity, the bloody parrot I mean.

I know this is not the right forum, but I will ask this here as I have allready started a thread:

Do you think Pterophyllum Scalare will work out?

Last edited:

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I said Angels before( I hope that is what that giant scientific word meant lol). As far as I have read they would be perfectly fine with your platies but as I stated before I would wait for someone with more experience to answer as far as how many max and if they recommend it or not.

man5onite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes you did, sorry.
I am from Norway, so I have a bit problems remebering what the American common names mean. Lol
So often the Latin name is easier for me.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
np I gotta start knowing the long names anyway. Too many different versions of the same common names

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A link for you concerning Angel Fish.
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Angelfish.htm

I agree with BlkDeath, I think Angels would do ok with Platy's Keep in mind that Angels are cichlids too and may be aggressive should 2 pair off. I've read information that should you have more than 2 Angels per tank and 2 pair off then the remaining angels should be removed due to aggression issues.

We're here to help whenever we can. Sometimes the answers one may want to hear are not the answers given I don't feel that any of our members will purposely lead anyone astray. It's a wonderful site with so many friendly people and tons of knowledge.

We love photos!

Ken

man5onite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for all the help you two!
I think I will go for a pair of Angels, when the water values have stabilized.

Here is a pic taken on my phone, not good quality nor a good shot.
But It's allright
I am going for an au natural look.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom