Any advise please, red lines on goldfish

1. JennaA Initiate Member

Hi, I'm seeking any help please in regards to my goldfish who has red lines through his tail and also what looks to be small growths on his dorsal fin.
    He hasn't lost his appetite but sometimes is floating at the top of the tank.

I've had him for around 4 years.
    He has been set up in this particular tank for 3 years with no problems. The tank is 42L and he is the only fish thats ever lived in this tank (purchased new)
    I just have gravel on the bottom (i did have fake plants but have removed them some time ago)

I use a gravel vacuum about once a month and also do 1/4 water changes every 1-2 months.

[​IMG]

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Does it look like septicemia?

Unfortunately that tank is way too small for him and it is probably affecting his health. He needs a tank at least three times the size of his current one.

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. Also, did I read that right? You only do tiny water changes once a month at most? In a tank that size he should be having at least 50% of his water charged at least once a week! Goldfish are heavy waste producers and will quickly foul a small volume of water.

What kind of a filter are you running?

4. JennaA Initiate Member

Thank you to both of you for your knowledge and advise :)

I had googled what it could be and saw hemorrhagic septicemia but this looks to be more like red blobs rather than lines.
    I did call a few aquariums today and they told me that red lines on the tail are normal. Would you agree?
    My other concern is the growths on his dorsal fin.

I didn't know the tank was too small - thank you for advising me.
    I purchased the tank when id had him for only a year and he was much smaller. He has grown a fair amount since then so i will have to look into a new tank.

Also, thank you for the knowledge on water changes, i will do this from now on.

I have a planet blue brand fish tank which came with an inbuilt filter.

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I don't agree. Unless the fish is a type that's supposed to have red lines there shouldn't be any. It's a classic sign of the disease and if that pet store thinks it's normal then they might have a problem.

The growths on his dorsal could be fungal or bacterial or perhaps just due to injury or mutation, but if it's disease process then clean water will be the best first line of defense;)

LOL I looked up Blue Planet fish tanks. TexasDomer, check out the picture on the box for this 5 gallon unit!
    https://www.petstock.com.au/products/153311000019/blue_planet_classic_aquarium_fish_tank__20l

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Oh my goodness, such bad advertising!