Any Advice On What To Add Preferibly A Cat Fish

ChuthuluFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
550
Reaction score
107
I currently have a20g tall with 4 platys its mostly graveless its got 2 live plants and a few ornammets.
I Also have horrible tap water. with high ammonia.

ammonia 0.3-0.5
nitrate70
nitrite 0
ph?

if I add water I add ammonia even with LARGE amount of prime.
and if I use little less water change I get more nitrate, so this is the norm for my tank.
so this leads to my point. I was looking for a hardy catfish and I find one tha doensnt need buddies andfits my tank sive as well as my HORRIBLE water quaility and fits water quailitys as platys.

if youguys think its not safe to add more fish, wicth its proubly not. what things could I doe to make quality better?

please respond...
thank you.
 

OnTheFly

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
2,680
Experience
More than 10 years
Prime converts ammonia to ammonium which is safe. You will still see it on your testing though until your filter processes it into nitrate. The first thing I would do is establish a lot more plants. That is going to require some substrate. What kind of light do you have. Is your tap nitrates 70?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
550
Reaction score
107
my tap is zero nitrate. and my plants are anbius nana. what plants would sudgaest .
also I now that prime doeestnt get rid of ammonia. I use a cap filled for 20gallons on my 5 gallon water cahnge bucket.

if I do get this fixed up aree there any cat fish sudestions?
 

OnTheFly

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
2,680
Experience
More than 10 years
ChuthuluFish said:
my tap is zero nitrate. and my plants are anbius nana. what plants would sudgaest .
also I now that prime doeestnt get rid of ammonia. I use a cap filled for 20gallons on my 5 gallon water cahnge bucket.

If I do get this fixed up are there any cat fish sudestions?
I'll let others recommend a single cat. I recommend a few fast growing plants that will soak up some ammonia and nitrates. Water Wisteria would be one. But all fast growers need a bit of light to make this work. It doesn't have to be expensive. Around $25 shipped on ebay and you have a couple choices in LED lighting.
 

el337

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
17,132
Reaction score
3,063
Location
PA
Experience
4 years
ChuthuluFish said:
I currently have a20g tall with 4 platys its mostly graveless its got 2 live plants and a few ornammets.
I Also have horrible tap water. with high ammonia.

ammonia 0.3-0.5
nitrate70
nitrite 0
ph?

if I add water I add ammonia even with LARGE amount of prime.
and if I use little less water change I get more nitrate, so this is the norm for my tank.
so this leads to my point. I was looking for a hardy catfish and I find one tha doensnt need buddies andfits my tank sive as well as my HORRIBLE water quaility and fits water quailitys as platys.

if youguys think its not safe to add more fish, wicth its proubly not. what things could I doe to make quality better?

please respond...
thank you.
Those readings are from the tank? What is the ammonia out of your tap? I would be doing larger water changes to get your nitrates down close to 20ppm. Once your bacteria has developed, it should also process the ammonia from your tap.

I wouldn’t add any fish until all the ammonia can be processed completely within 24 hours.

What temp do you keep your tank?
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
33,051
Reaction score
9,024
Location
Texas
Experience
2 years
If the ammonia is 0.3-0.5 ppm out of your tap, your water isn't horrible. That amount of ammonia can be converted through to nitrates in a few hours after a water change, and you can dose with Prime to protect your fish from this ammonia in the meantime. So you should still be doing regular water changes.

If those are the readings from your tank, your tank isn't cycled.
 

OnTheFly

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
2,680
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasDomer said:
If the ammonia is 0.3-0.5 ppm out of your tap, your water isn't horrible. That amount of ammonia can be converted through to nitrates in a few hours after a water change, and you can dose with Prime to protect your fish from this ammonia in the meantime. So you should still be doing regular water changes.

If those are the readings from your tank, your tank isn't cycled.
Edit, I misunderstood him.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
550
Reaction score
107
my tank is cycled...
I have on average a 8-9ammmonia in my tap

I will look int pothos plant
 

OnTheFly

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
2,680
Experience
More than 10 years
ChuthuluFish said:
my tank is cycled...
I have on average a 8-9ammmonia in my tap

I will look int pothos plant
0.8 or 8ppm in your tap?
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,339
Reaction score
14,996
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
Yikes at 8-9 you almost need a tank with just floating plants to pretreat your water or a good ammonia filter.
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
33,051
Reaction score
9,024
Location
Texas
Experience
2 years
Are you in the US? That high of ammonia isn't good for you either.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
550
Reaction score
107
well the city said it was "legaly drinkable" I never really beleived that
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,339
Reaction score
14,996
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
The US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) has not established a maximum contaminant level (MCL) forammonia in drinking water. Environmental limits for ammoniain surface water in the US range from 0.25 to 32.5 mg/l (ppm). ... In 1990 the US EPA issued a lifetime exposure advisory of 30 mg/l (ppm) for ammonia.
This is kind of scary.
 

Prism

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,494
Reaction score
534
Location
TX
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should maybe get some filters ect. on your water.
That high ammonia is crazy!

Maybe add some more plants.
What substrate you got in there?
What light do you have on it?

Corydora would be fine for you.
I would recommend doing albino, or panda corydora.

Keep the temperature around 74F, no higher.
 

OnTheFly

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,747
Reaction score
2,680
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
The US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) has not established a maximum contaminant level (MCL) forammonia in drinking water. Environmental limits for ammoniain surface water in the US range from 0.25 to 32.5 mg/l (ppm). ... In 1990 the US EPA issued a lifetime exposure advisory of 30 mg/l (ppm) for ammonia.
This is kind of scary.
And there are foreign countries that would love to have water that clean. There is going to be a serious shortage of drinking water in much of the world some year soon.

And plants are great but I think he is gong to have to hang a HOB filter on a 5G bucket and process water for WCs. The other choice is an RODI unit.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
270
Guests online
3,383
Total visitors
3,653

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom