Any advice on shell dwellers?

flopperfrog

i want to get a shell dweller, and i can’t seem to find rock hard solid advice. there’s a lot of conflicting information, some say you only need 5, others say 20 gallon is minimum, some say ph of 8 is required, others say they will adapt. i’m just kinda confused,
if there’s any people who know a lot about shell dwellers(or anything at all really), specifically Lamprologus ocellatus pls tell me lol thanks

carsonsgjs

flopperfrog said:
i want to get a shell dweller, and i can’t seem to find rock hard solid advice. there’s a lot of conflicting information, some say you only need 5, others say 20 gallon is minimum, some say ph of 8 is required, others say they will adapt. i’m just kinda confused,
if there’s any people who know a lot about shell dwellers(or anything at all really), specifically Lamprologus ocellatus pls tell me lol thanks
I dont keep occies in particular but in terms of shell dwellers generally, you could keep a pair in a 10g, with 2-3 pairs in a 20g. I wouldnt have said 5g would be big enough for a pair - when they breed those fry will need space too!

what is the water like where you are? With them being from lake tanganyika, they prefer hard water hence the high ph. I think they probably are able to adapt to a ph in the mid/high 7s (ive seen people comment that they have kept shellies in this range with no issues), but if you want long term success keeping them in harder water with a higher ph is better.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom