Any Advice On Oscars?

NancyD
Hello! So I currently have a 20 gallon tank that contains a 3 inch long Chinese Algae Eater and a 4 inch long Twig Catfish. They are the only two fish I have, my aquarium is very heavily filtered, I keep it at 77° and do a 20% water change every week.
I am looking to add a new fish to my aquarium, one that will actually swim around, but am not sure what to get.
I've always wanted an oscar, but I am not sure if I have the proper tank conditions, or if they will swim well with my two fish. Are there any Oscar experts in here who can give me a yes or no? Any suggestions on what I could get if an Oscar is not an option?

Mazeus
I am not an oscar expert, but 20 gallon is definitely not big enough for an oscar. The mininum size tank for an oscar is 75g.

The Chinese Algae eater will also outgrow your tank (they get about 11inches). Are you open to re-homing and re-stocking?

NancyD
If he starts getting too big I will get a larger aquarium eventually, I have noticed how quickly he grows.

So obviously for now the Oscar is out of the question, but in the future if I ever get a larger aquarium, could the two get along well together? What about the twig cat?

Mazeus
Is it a 20 gallon long?or high?

NancyD
High

Mazeus
Ah ok. That's too small for the twig cat (a 20long is a bit too small too but more doable than a 20 gallon high). So a couple of thoughts. The issue with the chinese algae eater is that as it gets bigger it will may start to harm other fish, it has been known to suck the slime coat off of tank mates. It's not a very good aquarium fish (in my opinion). I'd rehome it.

Would you consider upgrading to a bigger aquarium for the twig cat? Or would you consider rehoming and stocking the 20 gallon high with more appropriate fish.

NancyD
As he grows, yes I will eventually upgrade to a larger aquarium. Thanks for the tip on the Algae Eater, was not aware of that, will definitely think about rehoming him, or at least getting him his own tank to himself.

But my original question still has yet to be answered. With the proper tank conditions (assuming that I am upgrading to a larger aquarium with adequate space) would an Oscar get along with my fish, (or at least the twig cat)? Or would they bully each other? No, I will not be putting them in my 20 gal, I will make sure to acquire a large enough tank, and make sure to cycle it properly etc. etc. That's no longer my question, I just want to know if an Oscar would get along with a twig cat, or should I get something different after I get my larger aquarium?

Mazeus
It depends on the Oscar. Many will not tolerate any tank mates. It's normally recommended that they live by themselves.

NavyChief20
heres the problem:
Oscars
pH 6.5-7.5
hardness dH 5.0-19.0
Temperature 75-86F

Twig Cats
pH 7.5-8.5
hardness dH 5.0-19
Temperature 70-77

So you have a temp overlap to a certain degree but pH wise you're not gonna have fun. Granted a stable pH is better than chasing pH. The oscar will eat everything but more than likely leave the cat alone since they are very reclusive

TexasDomer
Both fish are adaptable to a range of pH, so that's not the problem.

A 20 gal is too small to keep an oscar for more than a few weeks, and things can always pop up preventing you from getting the proper tank size, then you're stuck with too small of a tank - and you'll injure and kill the fish by keeping him in such a small tank for too long. So I would strongly recommend not getting an oscar until you already have the 75 gal tank already setup.

The issue with the oscar and tank mates is aggression. Twig cats are not good at competing for food and they can't defend themselves. The oscar will kill it. So no, they should not be kept together.

NancyD
Oh don't worry, I wasn't planning on getting one until after I had gotten the right aquarium, as well as getting it cycled and everything, I'm just planning ahead, but it looks like an Oscar might not be my best option. Stink, oh well, perhaps someday. Thank you all for your help, that is all I wanted to know.

snowballPLECO
Oscars need bare minimum 55 gallon and that’s pushing it, an adult Oscar needs 75 gallon to feel comfortable.. I actually set up a 125 specifically for an Oscar and I put him in there today. Oscars are meant to be in solitary in a huge tank but can be in a tank with some other choice fish that can co-exist/fend for themselves. Oscars also need VERY good filtration, they EAT and produce a lot of waste. Oscars are fantastic fish with great personality. If you could upgrade to a 55 you could have an oscar

Mike1995
for an Oscar you will need a tank if at least 75 gallons. 150 gallons or more if you want more than one and or tank mates as well. They grow to around 16" sometimes more. Eat everything. Very big personality. They grow very fast, especially in the first year. My first oscar pair reached 8 "and 11" just in the first year and continued to grow and maxed out around 16". They need very heavy filtration, very messy fish. Tankmates should be large and able to handle any aggression. silver dollars are a common choice. If or when a pair of Oscars pair up and breed, no tank mates at all is best. They can and will kill anything in their way. They also will "redecorate" so live plants are a bad choice. As well as anything that isn't secured. Docile cichlids, and smaller dwarf cichlids like geophagus, firemouth, convict, acaras, and anything else small are not a good tank mates. but, very aggressive fish like red devils are also not a good choice either. Heavy filtration as well as water quality are two things to watch out for. They are prone to hole in the head if tank water is not clean and filtered efficiently.

snowballPLECO
for an Oscar you will need a tank if at least 75 gallons. 150 gallons or more if you want more than one and or tank mates as well. They grow to around 16" sometimes more. Eat everything. Very big personality. They grow very fast, especially in the first year. My first oscar pair reached 8 "and 11" just in the first year and continued to grow and maxed out around 16". They need very heavy filtration, very messy fish. Tankmates should be large and able to handle any aggression. silver dollars are a common choice. If or when a pair of Oscars pair up and breed, no tank mates at all is best. They can and will kill anything in their way. They also will "redecorate" so live plants are a bad choice. As well as anything that isn't secured. Docile cichlids, and smaller dwarf cichlids like geophagus, firemouth, convict, acaras, and anything else small are not a good tank mates. but, very aggressive fish like red devils are also not a good choice either. Heavy filtration as well as water quality are two things to watch out for. They are prone to hole in the head if tank water is not clean and filtered efficiently.

I think firemouths can potentially coexist, as long as the firemouth is there first. It’s been done before

75g Discus Tank
I think firemouths can potentially coexist, as long as the firemouth is there first. It’s been done before

I wouldn’t do it though, as there is a chance it won’t work. Saying that it’s worked before is like saying somebody went down Niagra Falls in a barrel before so it will work every time.

Ryan Neidinger
Hello! So I currently have a 20 gallon tank that contains a 3 inch long Chinese Algae Eater and a 4 inch long Twig Catfish. They are the only two fish I have, my aquarium is very heavily filtered, I keep it at 77° and do a 20% water change every week.
I am looking to add a new fish to my aquarium, one that will actually swim around, but am not sure what to get.
I've always wanted an oscar, but I am not sure if I have the proper tank conditions, or if they will swim well with my two fish. Are there any Oscar experts in here who can give me a yes or no? Any suggestions on what I could get if an Oscar is not an option?
Oscars can be aggressive fish and very territorial. Do not put an Oscar in anything less than a 55 gal and that is if they are by them selves. If you want fish to liven up the tank I would recommend getting a schooling fish. My 29 gal tank was slow moving and there were rarely fish swimming around. I added 5 tiger barbs (and schooling fish recommended to be kept in odd numbers) and the fish swim around and the tank is more lively. But please don’t get an Oscar for a 20 gal tank because of the size they grow to, they won’t be able to turn around.

NancyD
Um...yeah, we settled that already... I'm pretty sure I mentioned at least three times in this conversation that I wasn't going to put an Oscar in my 20 gal... Plus this took place several weeks ago and the Oscar is out of the question. (I ended up getting a couple rasboras instead of anyone was wondering)

Not to seem rude (I apologize if it is read in such way) but did you even read all the responses above?

Ryan Neidinger
Um...yeah, we settled that already... I'm pretty sure I mentioned at least three times in this conversation that I wasn't going to put an Oscar in my 20 gal... Plus this took place several weeks ago and the Oscar is out of the question. (I ended up getting a couple rasboras instead of anyone was wondering)

Not to seem rude (I apologize if it is read in such way) but did you even read all the responses above?
Sorry I’m just making sure that people aren’t housing animals in smaller habitats than they deserve. You asked for advise and I was giving advise on my knowledge. Sorry if I came off rude or anything just giving my piece of advise regardless. I clicked on this post instead of a more recent one trying to help out but you got it under control.

NancyD
You didn't come across as rude, I'm all honesty I found it rather hilarious. This was like, back in May

CrimsonTheRescue
You can house a baby oscar in a 20 gallon tank by its self but sooner or later it will grow out of its tank and will need a upgrade. If you add a baby oscar now then your tank will be overpopulated with the other fish your just going to need a bigger tank to house a oscar.. I suggest a 45-55gal tank. I currently have a rescue oscar in a 55 and hes improved beautifully.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Parmesany
Replies
Views
DoughBoy93090
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views