Any advice in heating a 1.5 gallon tank?

Worryrock2007
I posted this in the section for heaters, but I didn't really get a lot of responses. I have a 1.5 gallon tank, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a heater that would work safely in a tank that small. I found this online, its for a 2 gallon tank, and was wondering if it might work, or if it would put off too much heat

COBettaCouple
I wouldn't get one of those heaters.. this heater can be found at walmart and does a decent job for small tanks.

Worryrock2007
Would the 50 watt would work,or is there a smaller size I should get?

Barbrella
50 watts in a 1.5 gallon?

What I would do is get a 2.5 gal tank for your betta, and a 25 watt heater for it.

Worryrock2007
50 watts in a 1.5 gallon?

What I would do is get a 2.5 gal tank for your betta, and a 25 watt heater for it.

yeah,I thought that didn't sound right, that's why I asked.

Worryrock2007
So, I managed to catch a ride to walmart with my dad today and bought the Tetra heater posted for 2-15 gallons. I am pretty sure that it is the heater that is designed to go with my tank because it is a kit made by Tetra and in the directions for set up it talked about an optional heater, but I don't think it said what it was called. Anyway, thanks for posting that COBettaCouple. I will let you know how it goes. I made sure to buy a thermometer as well to make sure he doesn't overheat.

COBettaCouple
cool.. good luck with it. the reason I think it will work well for your tank is that it says it heats to 78F, but even in a 5 gallon tank, they seem to go to 76F. So they definitely strike me as a heater just for a small tank.

metal_fish
This is a little

But, I bought a heater for my 2 Gal
Is it good? bought it at walmart

COBettaCouple
I believe that is a heater to avoid. It can overheat the water easily because I think it just warms the water without regard to water temperature. The small Tetra submersible heater is also at walmart and does a decent job in a small tank.

This is a little

But, I bought a heater for my 2 Gal
Is it good? bought it at walmart

Worryrock2007
So,I just got back to school and got the heater set up a few hours ago, and it seems to be working great.It has been keeping the water at between 78 and 79 degrees.I do have one question though, as long as the thermometer reads at that temp, is it safe to leave the heater plugged in, or do I need to unplug it to keep it from overheating? Sorry, I know this isn't even the right section for this really, but I could not figure that out from the instructions.

COBettaCouple
the main thing is to keep the temp. steady. If the heater is doing that, then maybe it's got a built-in thermostat and would be ok to leave plugged in. I'd keep a close eye on what it does to the temp. and unplug it if it starts to look like it's going towards overheating.

Worryrock2007
Yeah, I know it does have a built in thermometer,and I thought it would be Okay. I just thought I should double check,seeing as I haven't really needed a heater before.

Worryrock2007
The heater has been keeping a very study temp. It is really amazing the changes in my fish. Before, he would be chasing his reflection all the time, but now hew is much more calm.

COBettaCouple
They love consistent water conditions and I bet he's a lot happier now. ;D

Worryrock2007
He has been flaring a lot more the normal sense I put in the heater, 3 times today. I only ever saw him flare once before. Could this mean anything? Is this just him getting used to his new surroundings (seeing as I redid his tank).

COBettaCouple
Bettas have a lot of curiosity and ours tend to spend some time checking out changes to their tank. I try to rearrange their tanks weekly as stimulation for them and they love exploring the 'new' tank. ;D

LuvaBetta
Bettas have a lot of curiosity and ours tend to spend some time checking out changes to their tank. I try to rearrange their tanks weekly as stimulation for them and they love exploring the 'new' tank. ;D

Wow, I thought I was being ocd for doing that! Bo is in a 1.5g bowl for now, but I change out hidey holes and plants periodically just to keep him interested in his surroundings!

COBettaCouple
lol.. no, that's a good thing that you're doing for your Betta. They can get bored with the tank always being the same. They love being talked to and they love new things to check out and explore so you're taking good care of your little guy. ;D

Wow, I thought I was being ocd for doing that! Bo is in a 1.5g bowl for now, but I change out hidey holes and plants periodically just to keep him interested in his surroundings!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nightshadethebetta
Replies
Views
Kamaile
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views