Any Advice For Marimo Moss Balls

Ladyglo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
About 2 months ago I purchased 2 moss ball from Luffy. The balls came sort of brown, in a little bag with a small amount of moisture. I took them out and quarantined them in a bowl for several weeks and then added them to my tank. My concern is that they never really greened up. They are still this army green/brown color and they "shed". My filter intakes are full of little threads of moss ball. Is this normal? They don't look any worse than when they came, but they don't look any better either.
They are in a 45 gallon tank with about 6 1/2 hours of LED light the rest of the time it is indirect room light. The water temp is about 78 degrees. Use Prime and Glofish dechlorinator with water changes and take them out and squeeze them weekly. The fish totally ignore them. All the other plants are silk.
Thanks

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Marimo balls grow very slowly. In my tank with 12 hours a day of strong light they grow about an inch a year. Because they grow so slowly they recover very slowly. Just give them time. I have found them to be indestructible ,as long as they have water and a source of nutrient they should be fine. When I ordered my first marimos the picture showed a bright green colour, I never got mine to that colour. Like you mine arrived a brownish colour, after a few months mine turned a healthy green but never reached the bright green in the photo. I think they used lighting in the photo to make them look brighter than they really are.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can trI'm the brown bits off to expose the deep green underneath. This should help with the shedding too. In nature marimo don't like light very much and generally prefer cooler temperatures. My partner has a small tank specifically for marimo that they keep on a dark shelf without a heater. They occasionally put them into a cup and place it in the fridge. I don't have any pictures of them unfortunately- but I do have a picture of one that I turned into a small carpet. Please excuse the detritus, tomorrow is water change day.
20190915_175353.jpg

OP
L

Ladyglo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I'll give them some time. Thank you!

OP
L

Ladyglo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Salem said:
You can trI'm the brown bits off to expose the deep green underneath
There aren't really brown patches the whole thing is sort of a brownish green color, not the bright green in the pictures. I had put them in colder water when I first got them but they didn't look any different.

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Salem's picture is about the same colour as mine are. I don't think you can really get them greener than that.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heron said:
Salem's picture is about the same colour as mine are. I don't think you can really get them greener than that.
Shes saying they are not green......

OP
L

Ladyglo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would love it if mine were that green. This is what mine look like...

Sheldon13

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ladyglo said:
Where did you order them? Amazon? They should not have arrived to you that color and I would recommend requesting a replacement or refund so you can repurchase. I’ve had 1 that color once and it did not recover. If they have a few brown spots they do ok but the whole thing being brown does not bode well.

New Threads